A mirror empty of him

She will call him Five.

Five is the nameless boy with his back to a mirror.The reflection is full of friends but empty of himself.The lad with the front of a cherry red shirt burned into the camera.Emilia counts five candles on his cake.

'Are you done?'

'Hmmh?' Emilia faced her friend 'Five' having swept any shard of mind intact to their dull assignment.The powerpoint, another tab presenting childhood photos and names remains half-done.

'Who's that?' questioned Merissa, ebony curls brushing the desk as she leaned towards the screen.

'Nobody'.What a lie.

Inquiries like still fish surface over the murky depths of three years.Three years since that one mundane morning.It been the same meek neighborhood, the same fair tempered seven year old but a rogue mirror failing to serve her.Emilia's reflection wiped from the smooth, icy surface without notice.My eyes are playing tricks on me or I need glasses was her primal thoughts.She'd ignored it and tried to for the rest of the year.Emilia thought if she came forth with this confounding incident, they'd believe her touched in the head and send her away to a place with no ice cream sandwiches and schoolmates so she adapted.Maybe the boy had too?

In penetrating the entire student body, keenly peering the early-morning masses she'd caught him one drizzly Monday, laughing without a care, a few tables from hers.Five threw back his blonde crown.Flame-like blue eyes bubbling uncontrived mirth from the rowdy bunch snug around him.He failed to meet Emilia's eyes but not for a minute or second did she fail to study his.

Authors Note:

Even the friend I dedicated this fan-fic thought 'Emilia' was a vampire.She is not.