Chapter 2: Academy Life is Something

A/N: Hi author here to give a quick little explanation how how the school functions.  It is a boarding type school, where the students live there for 8 years, they are broken up between the middle school and high school divisions.  Years 1-4 are middle school and years 5-8 are high school students.  I am adding this here, both to help with the lore a bit and I can't really fit this kind of info into the story without over complicating the process.

Ryder POV

After the party and saying our goodbyes to Ahri and her mother, we headed home.  My dad and I walked through the door to see mom cooking dinner.

Mom: "Hey you two so how was the assembly."

Dad: "Honey, Ryder took first! He scored a 9.4 on the ability test and even made his first friend!

Ryder: "Yeah."

Mom looked ecstatic at my dad's proclamation and quickly ran over to hug me.  When she embraced me I almost cried, this feeling of warmth and unconditional love, is something I have missed for a long time.  I hugged my mother back and after we separated, she went back to finishing dinner.

Mom: "So what is your ability Ryder?"

Ryder: "Chronology, I can control time."

This made my mother furrow her eyebrows and look at me sternly.

Mom: "I see, honey you better use that power responsibly, the stronger powers are the more dangerous.

This made me nod my head, I knew that controlling time probably has its drawbacks, and consequences, I mean come on, who hasn't seen 'Back to the Past 1 and 2' and 'The Termination' movies.

Ryder: "I understand mom."

Mom seems to have lightened up and smiled at me.

Mom: "Alright then, so thing to focus on is that we need to prepare you to move into the dorms."

Right, Kalver Academy has dorms for the students to assist in commute and to be able to work with the students whenever.

I nod, and smile at both my parents looking at me with a look I haven't seen in a long time. A look of pride, they were proud of me and I couldn't help but be to the moon and back, for the first time, I didn't feel like dead weight to my parents.

-Timeskip-

Ryder POV

Man time flew by, it is already time to move in and I went out with Dad to get all the supplies I needed.  At least while I was at home I learned a few new things about my ability.  So to start it is reliant on having the clock activated and also for me to have an intention to do said action, also it functions like one could assume, I can stop, slow, speed up, or rewind time, but I can also do a few other things, one I can control another's time and I can also use the time control in conjunction with each other, but also with my powers are some pretty nasty drawbacks, even though time is still, mine isn't, and speeding up or slowing down functions the same, it made me realize that all things have their own 'independent' time in the eyes of my ability, also hitting something repeatedly when I stop time can cause the damage to stack, or I can cause time to constantly repeat an impact to do something of a similar case, overall pretty volatile. It really made me realize why my ability was ranked as a 9.4 and a multi-range caster type, as long as my mana can reach, I can affect it, make it wither or make it heal, make it disappear or make it come back. Overall a very insightful time while I was home.
I sigh as I look at the train that is supposed to take us to the academy, I see all the other parents seeing their children off and I look at mine.

Ryder: "I'm gonna miss you."

My mother quickly runs to me, and gives me a tight hug.  Shortly my father embraces us both.

Dad: "And we will miss you Ry, don't go and forget about us while you're in school."

This made me chuckle, and I kind of felt sad, it was bittersweet, I finally see my parents and now I have to leave, sure they can visit, but my family isn't super well off and they can probably barely afford to even send me to school, but I guess being Rank 1 had the perks of having a full-ride scholarship so at least I didn't have to weigh them down with having to pay for my schooling.  Still thought, being gone for 8 years is gonna weigh on me, hopefully doing this though, will let me get strong enough to protect my parents and stop the invasion, if not, why even bother rewinding time.  I give my parents one last hug before boarding the train and finding my cabin.

Ryder: "G13, G13, ah there you are"

I enter the cabin and low and behold who would've guessed, but my cabin partner is Ahri Tengho.  She seems surprised to see me and I take my seat.

Ryder: "Well hello again."