With Diana's help, I started wrapping gifts. They were small. Miss Melanie had even sent over extra holiday gifts for me to give out to friends and family. These were charm bracelets, movie tickets, gift cards, watches, cologne, and perfume.

It was close to dinner when we finished.

"Let's get you dressed," Diana said. "You can't miss dinner with the royal family."

I made a face.

"It's a casual dinner," Diana added. "Jeans and a t-shirt are the appropriate attire here. I'll even let you pick your clothes."

"Gee, thanks," I said sarcastically.

She smiled. "I thought you might like that."

My parents were at the main house before I made my way over. I had joseph drive me there since the weather wasn't going to let me walk.

"Aren't you going to spend time with your family?" I asked.

"I have a few days off," he said. "Don't worry about me."

When the car stopped in front of the house, Trevor opened the door and ushered me inside. The few seconds outside turned me into a popsicle. Once inside the house, I rubbed my hands together, blowing on them.

"Everyone is in the drawing room," he said.

"Thanks. I can find my way."

As Trevor left, I dragged my feet to the drawing room. How would they react? I had avoided them since the incident. Just as I reached the appropriate hallway, I bumped into Noah. He wore a Christmas sweater which was bright red with reindeer going around.

"Hey, Rin," he said casually. "Nice to see you."

Diana wasn't kidding when she said this dinner was casual.

"Hey," I said. "How are you?"

"Busy mostly," he replied.

"Still chasing leads?"

He paused. "Yeah, I figured I would be more useful this way. I don't want drama to spread. Everyone is looking for an excuse to stir things up."

I thought back to the charity ball. "Don't I know it," I muttered.

"You joining us for dinner?" I asked.

"Might as well," he replied. "I'm waiting on some files, so a nice break will be helpful."

Together, we went to the drawing room. Inside, everyone was comfortably on the furniture, listening to smooth jazz. When I walked in behind Noah, Alexander was immediately at my side. A pang of guilt hit me. He pulled me into a hug.

"Did you rest well?" he asked. "Your dad said you were feeling under the weather."

I peeked at my dad. He casually sipped from his mug.

"I'm better," I said.

Alexander looked ready to say something else.

"We'll talk after dinner," I said.

"Okay."

"Why don't the two of you have a small dinner together?" King Lionel suggested. "I'll have Trevor and Diana arrange it."

"That's a sweet idea," My mom said. "You two enjoy."

Alexander and I awkwardly stood in the empty room as the parents and Noah walked out.

"I wasn't sick," I told him.

"I know," he said.

He took my hands and brought them to his lips. "I don't want you to hide from me."

I leaned into him. "I was disappointed," I whispered. "I thought you'd be there and then . . . The announcement, and now, it's a mess."

"I'm sorry. I should have been there."

I looked up at him. "What happened?"

"I was told I didn't need to be there until the dinner. I had no idea you were at the auction already."

"So, we were each given different information."

He sighed. "Yeah. Lady Hargrave must have made a mistake."

"When has that ever happened?" I scoffed.

"Never," he replied. "As far as I'd known her, she's never made a miscommunication error."

"You agree it's suspicious?" I prompted.

He gave me a look. "Is this you trying to convince my mother is out to get you?"

"Do I need to convince you?" I asked. "She is. This proves it. I know it sounds like I'm making things up but look at what happened."

"It could have been her staff."

"If the staff member was incompetent, why'd she keep them?"

He sighed. "I don't know."

I pulled my hands away. "Let's go eat."

Alexander grabbed my arm. "We're not done."

My chin trembled. "What is there to talk about? I believe your mom is a terrorist who plotted your assassination attempt for some unknown agenda, and she's out to get me. Nothing she's done so far has dissuaded me from that thought."

"I don't want my mother to come between us," he began.

"She's not. But can you tell me if you're at least open to the idea that your mom is potentially behind many of the problems right now?"

"Why do you think she'll do something like this?"

"I don't know. That's why we should do something to figure out her motives."

Alexander crossed his arm. "Rin."

"She sabotaged our announcement ceremony! All the work we did just went down the drain."

"Okay. I'll talk to her," he said.

"Ask her why she sold the family brooch I gave her."

He paused. "She did what now?"

"The brooch I gave her. She sold it at the auction."

His jaw tensed. This time, he looked angry. I took a step back.

"I'll talk to her," he repeated in a low voice.

I nodded. "Okay," I squeaked out. 

Trevor walked into the room. "Your dinner is ready," he said. 

Hand-in-hand, Alexander and I followed Trevor. I couldn't deny the nervousness Alexander's words had stirred up inside me. The way he said it, Lady Hargrave selling the brooch was worst than what I had initially thought.