Hazel takes a moment before she pulls a fairly large book out from the bottom shelf, heaving it to the table where she lays it out. I immediately come to her side.

"Watch the wet hair," she mutters, brushing me away a little.

I oblige her, biting on the edge of my nails.

"My father collected a lot of books on those who also had magic, considering our own family history. There should be something in here about Sire," she mumbles, flipping through the pages.

Suddenly she stops, jabbing her finger at the page. "Here."

"That's him?" I ask, seeking clarification because it takes a great deal of squinting to make sense of the illustrator's depiction of him considering the decaying paper.

"It's a painting. Who knows if it's accurate...well, I suppose you do now," Hazel notes with a half shrug.

"He looks a lot like that, but much taller and with freakish tattoos." This version of him seems clean, maybe when he was a little younger.

The man I saw exuded raw power and the experience only a true Alpha carries.

"They used to symbolise strength, which he is not lacking in." Hazel draws her finger under the lines, silently reading whatever has been written about him.

I flop down into a seat, knowing I'm not going to be able to concentrate on those dense paragraphs. "Tell me more."

Hazel doesn't look up as her eyes scan the page. "There used to be two Pack's. His father ruled over one for a time before he took over, and for many years, the two Pack's warred."

"What's the other Pack?"

"Our Pack...We can all be linked back to a common ancestor, just like his Pack," Hazel tells me, sounding a little apprehensive.

We both know what that means.

"So I am a part of his enemy Pack?" There are no other Pack's, so it's not like I have a choice in the matter. But how will he see it? I can't imagine he will be pleased when he comes to learn of this new information.

"He wouldn't care."

"How did the war end?" I ask.

"He was tricked and subsequently cursed by the old Alpha of our Pack. From there, his Pack was mostly slaughtered, and those who survived fled," Hazel tells me. She doesn't need to read the book to know this stuff.

Before her attempt at a spell, she familiarised herself well with the story.

"That's so sad," I breathe.

Hazel shifts, shaking her head solemnly. "He was too powerful for this world, Meara. And every book I've read has told me that he has an evil, corrupted soul."

"They were likely written by members of our Pack...the victors," I remind her sharply.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but our understanding of who Sire is as a person is reliant on the perspectives of others. It's not like I want to get to know him, but I'm not about to judge him with such cruelty.

"I'm sure they were, but I don't think they warred for no reason," she adds. "Only he can tell you."

I look out her window, at the storm raging beyond. The world I live in has suddenly become terrifying and uncertain.

"I can't...I have a life, I'm not ready to be an Alpha's mate, who may very well be a murderous monster," I blurt out.

Hazel closes the book, dragging another chair to sit in front of me.