Chapter 3

『♡』•『♡』•『♡』•『♡』 || ✮•̩̩͙✧•̩̩͙˚✧˚  ˚✧˚•̩̩͙✧•̩̩͙˚✮ ||『♡』•『♡』•『♡』•『♡』

Kai carefully pried open a window on the Ruby Palace and crept in, pulling the water out of the air to form stairs.

After discovering his magic, he realized that he was very powerful, and with more experimentation, discovered that he had two specialties. 1: Turning people into gems or any gem-related stuff and 2: Pulling water out of the air and turning it into ice, which had its own drawbacks.

He stood above Athanasia's crib and stared for a moment. Athanasia was one and a half years old, her blonde hair coming in.

'She already resembles Diana,' Kai thought. He remembered the day he met Diana.

He had crept into the palace, intending to sneak a peek at Diana, and then leave, but when he grabbed some food and hurried to a balcony, he found her there.

・┈┈・┈┈・┈┈・

Kai sat on the balcony, hanging his legs down, eating a sandwich. He had already snuck a peek at the dancers, who were set to perform in an hour.

'Soon, my father will fall in love with Diana and Athanasia will be born,' he thought. 'Athanasia will earn the love of father and I will leave the palace.'

As soon as he finished the sandwich, and was about to leave, he heard a voice say hello.

"Hi," Diana said. "I'm Diana, a dancer from Siadonna!"

Kai choked and nearly lost his balance on the balcony. He turned and adjusted his glasses, which were there to hide his identity.

 "Should you really be here?" he asked weakly. "Everyone else is enjoying the party."

She winked, and he turned, finally getting a good look at her.

Diana was beautiful. She was radiant and reminded Kai of someone from his past life.

'She has eyes like rose quartz,' he thought.

"I'm just here to get away from the crowd," she said to him. "And you're here, so I'm assuming you also came to get away from the crowd." Diana paused. "I love festivals, but the palace is stifling, and everyone is insincere."

Kai nodded, and then remembered that he didn't give her a name. But then stopped himself. It would be awkward to say his name now. Perhaps he could wait for her to go away.

After a while, he made an excuse and left, thinking that this would be the last time he saw Diana. 

・┈┈・┈┈・

It wasn't. For the next few months, he would bump into her when he was in town and end up spending more time with her.

"I think I'm in love," she said to him one day. "I met a man at the palace. He's kind and damaged, but I love him. He told me to stay and not return to Siadonna."

"Are you going to stay?" Kai asked.

"I don't know," Diana told him. "I want to return to my home, but will I ever meet someone like him again? He makes me happy."

Kai was silent, considering this. If he encouraged her to leave, he could probably prevent her death, but was it his place to do that? It was her life, and it wasn't up to him to force him to make her return.

"What do you think, Saf?" she asked. (He had given her the name Saf when she asked, shortening Sapphire, which was the name of his palace.)

"I think it's up to you," he told her. "Obelia might not be safe, but I think you should do what makes you happy. Most of us only get one life, and you should spend your life being happy."

Diana looked at him, eyes teary.

He huffed. "Stop being dramatic," he said.

She was making him soft.

"Do you want to meet him?" asked Diana. "He's very kind and I think you'll like him."

Kai almost stopped breathing. He hadn't seen his father since he was a baby, and it had been eleven years. He didn't want to interfere with the plot, not to mention he still didn't know if Claude would kill him. He didn't know what his mother had done that caused his father to make her leave, he didn't know if his father wanted him.

"No," he said, shaking his head. "It's your love life. I won't interfere."

Diana pouted. "Alright."

・┈┈・┈┈・

That was their last conversation. The next time he saw her was when he asked Hana to give him a magic artifact to locate her.

She was dying, bedridden, but still beautiful as ever. Kai sighed. 

He had known she would die. Kai shouldn't have started to care about her, but he did. 

Two months later, Athanasia was born, Diana was dead, and Claude was devastated.

・┈┈・┈┈・┈┈・

For the sake of Diana, he would watch over Athanasia. He would never let anything happen to her. 

F*** the plot. He was going to do his own thing.

(A/N: Thank you for reading, and I hope you like this. If you are confused with anything, please comment, and thank you so much for reading. It means the world to me.)