Jimmy was speechless. What the hell was anyone supposed to say to that? Apologizing that Scott didn't have a good life didn't seem like the best option knowing Scott hated those kinds of apologies. Luckily for him, he didn't have to worry too much about responding when Scott sniffled loudly and spoke again.

"You have no idea how jealous I am that you're so fucking happy, all the goddamn time," he said, wiping aggressively at his wet cheeks. "I wish I had what you have, be it some kind of potion or whatever, that makes you so happy. I just-" He let out a frustrated groan and threw his head back against the hospital bed, covering his face with his forearms. "I hate you! You're too perfect, too- too smiley and bright all the time! And it's not like you never had any trauma either. Your mom died only four years ago!" Jimmy winced at the memory of his mother. He didn't expect Scott to bring her up. "It makes me so angry that so many awful things can happen to me, but close to nothing bad happens to you. It's not f-fair-" He broke out into another round of sobs, turning onto his side and shoving his face into his pillow. "It's not fucking fair! Why do I have to lose everything while everybody else is happy?! Why can't I be happy, too?!"

Jimmy's heart broke as Scott wailed into his pillow, his body shaking with every cry. The fact that he was so broken over people that hurt him...

"Hey," Jimmy said gently, reaching over to rub Scott's arm. "Scott."

The latter looked up and sniffed, scowling and looking angry. "What?" he huffed.

Jimmy tried to give his best smile to try and make Scott feel a little bit better. "What if this is for the best?" he suggested, almost regretting opening his mouth when Scott stared at him like he was stupid. "W-well, I mean, like- Your parents were abusive, weren't they? And Zach was a douche bag. Maybe it's a good thing that they're out of your life for good now." He paused, Scott's expression unchanging. "You can get help now, and you can be happy. And you'll always have me, if it's worth any consolation."

Scott's scowl faded. His eyes began to water again, and he let out a sob. "Jimmyyyyy," he cried, drawing out his name. He tossed the pillow aside to throw himself onto Jimmy, crying into his shoulder. "I love you so much!" He broke the hug to give Jimmy a long, heartfelt kiss, peppering more kisses all over his face after. "You're the best." He wrapped his arms around Jimmy again, holding him tightly.

Jimmy could've sworn his face was on fire with how red it was, and the way his stomach did cartwheels almost made him think he'd throw up, but in a good way. He said he loves me, Jimmy thought, heart fluttering in his chest. He said he loves me!

Jimmy couldn't imagine a better feeling than what he felt right then.

*   *   *

"Hey, sorry I'm back late," Joel said as he walked in the front door, gaining the attention of Etho and Grian.

Etho laughed. "Yeah, I'd say you're a just little bit late," he teased.

Joel rolled his eyes as he toed off his shoes. "Oh, be quiet," he said. "Doc wanted to talk to me afterwards and I ended up passing out in the break room." He laughed at himself. "God, how dumb am I?"

"Joel!" Grian jumped off his seat and ran over, barrelling into the brunette.

Joel let out a quiet oof and stumbled backward, but smiled anyway and wrapped his arms around Grian in return. "Hey, buddy," he said. "You look like you're feeling better." He chuckled when Grian nodded aggressively. "That's good."

Grian pulled away suddenly, fidgeting with his hands. "I'm sorry for calling you dad," he apologized. He looked down at his feet.

"Kiddo..." Joel knelt down in front of the other and took his hands in his own to get his attention. "You don't need to apologize for something silly like that. In fact, it would make me the happiest person in the world if you continued to call me dad." He smiled. "As long as you're comfortable with it, of course."

"You're not mad?"

"Not a single bit."

"And I can still call you dad?"

"As many times as you want."

Grian threw himself onto Joel, squeezing him around the shoulders tightly. "I love you, Dad," he said.

Joel smiled and closed his eyes, feeling a happy tear roll down his cheek. "I love you, too, kiddo."

*   *   *

I cried writing this. Like, a lot. I also smiled a lot whilst writing this, so much so that my cheeks hurt lol /pos

I hope you enjoyed the fluff, there will be a lot more in the next chapters. /srs/gen

Have a great rest of your day/evening, love y'all!! <33 /p

𓈊 A Poppy By Any Other NameOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara