[ 25 ]

Snow swirled outside the windows of the Room of Requirement, howling very softly like a little singing hound. Both Aine and Draco were just fixing the Vanishing Cabinet and were almost done for the day. The walls of the furniture had been restored and it was nearly good as new, but much still needed to be mended inside where the magical passageway was. 

The two sat across each other on the carpet that Aine had sprawled across the ground and they panted, completely exhausted after draining themselves out with repairing the cabinet. Aine removes her braids and lets her wavy hair loose, the curls defining even more as she runs a finger through her hair. She felt something crinkle in her inner pocket and met Draco's attentive eyes on her.

She pulled out the olive-coloured envelope and gave a small gasp. Ah, that's right... She had almost forgotten about it!

"What's that?" Draco asks, peering over the envelope that was in Aine's hand. He spotted the golden cursive words written on the other side that reads 'Invitation', and raises a curious brow.

"Oh, this? It's an invitation from Professor Slughorn for his Christmas Party this Friday," Aine tells him and he hums. "I'm supposed to bring a date," she added, giving a quick glance to Draco.

The boy's lips stretched into a smirk and he leans forward on his elbow on the stack of books at her. He takes the letter that she had offered him and browses through the contents of it, mostly indicating the time, date and attire. "And?" he pressed on, seemingly already knowing that Aine wanted to ask him. But he wasn't going to say anything until he hears the words come out of her mouth.

Aine caught his thoughts and rolled her eyes, "Gosh, you're so annoying sometimes," she muttered very softly under her breath, looking away.

"What was that, love?" Draco teases her, gazing at his lover with eyes full of adoration.

Aine's cheeks flushed at his flirty attempts and she snatches back the invitation. "Nothing, just saying," she mumbles, trailing her fingers across the golden words.

Draco snickered and cupped her face, bringing Aine to look straight at him. "Would you like me to go with you?" he asks her.

She gave him a deadpan look and cupped his cheeks in return, making him blink back at the action. "Now you make it seem like I'm begging you to come with me," she pouted. Draco stifled a laugh and Aine narrowed her golden eyes at his.

"Say it then, shy little lady," his voice low and seductive, his smirk tugging on his lips.

Draco could feel the heat in Aine's face when his hand touched her cheeks. He could feel his heart pounding loudly and hers as well. He just love seeing her with all sorts of expressions, but the one he liked watching most was her bashful face. It was adorable and it made his heart flutter. 

"Would you— Like to come to the party with me?" Aine asks in a timid voice, cursing at how awkward this was. It's all his fault for making it seem weird, she says in her mind.

The Slytherin boy's smirk spread into a grin and he uncupped his hands from her cheeks and gave her a small hug, "It will be my greatest honour, M'lady." Aine scoffed at him and he pulls away, still giving a triumphant smile at her, "See? Not so bad, was it?" 

Aine gave him a gentle punch and finally smiled, "When did Draco Malfoy become such a teaser?"

"Only when he's with you."

She snorts at his remark and chuckles. "Besides, this is a good opportunity for us," Draco said, taking the envelope in between his index and middle finger. "It seems that a gift exchange will happen. What better present would be good for our good professor who loves to drink?" he trailed off and Aine's eyes flickered with an idea, knowing where this was going.