The dead of night

Hugo didn't feel guilty.
he had promised he would not read the journal while varian was asleep, he wasn't going to break that exact promise-- someone else was just going to read it for him.

he took a glance at varian, the boy was definitely going to have a sore neck when he would wake up in about a few hours or so.
he mouth was slightly open and his legs pulled up near hid chest as he let out soft puffs of air every now and then, the quiet snores confirming to hugo he was out like a light.
he held the journal under his arm as he set further into the depths of the forest. Hugo would never feel guilty, varian had been dumb enough to let him enter the group after the first trick he had pulled in the fire kingdom. Why he trusted him after that hugo would never understand.

it did not take him long to arrive at a small river where his boss was waiting for him. Though boss was not a big enough word to describe their relationship, Hugo would call her mom but Donella was not one for sentiment so when he had been younger she had quickly waved that name aside.
"Hugo.." her voice was icy yet as warm as ever as it interrupted the silence.
"I see you brought what I require" she said and she held her gloved hands outstretched infront of her to take the journal from the young adult.
"I'm pained you were expecting less of me" Hugo said with a smirk as he tossed the book to her, leaning his back against a tree.
"we don't have long, I give Yong about 45 minutes before he's up and jumping around, waking V up in the progress and it'll only be a second before he realises the journal i---"
donella walked over to him, her eyes stared into his green ones and it made him slump abit lower against the tree.
"V? nicknames lead to attachment boy, do not go down that road." she said, it was a threat, hugo knew that.
If he got attached he would rip the mission apart and all had been fir nothing, but he would never get attached. he was a one man person and he was just doing fine like that.
"I'm just in my role, Don" he said and he gave the women a wink to which he earned an eyeroll as her eyes focused back on the pages of the journal of her former lap partner.
"the water kingdom will be next. a dissolution based task, you will get tested in many ways" her fingers reached up to brush her pupils cheek but last minute remained hovering in the air, not touching his skin with her own.
"whatever you will see, Hugo, Know it is something you will never have. It will not be real, I need you to--"
he held up his hands and Held his back straight.
"it's not real, got it. what isn't real though?"
she shook her head which made it hugo his turn to role his eyes.
"they don't know so neither can you, they'll be suspicious. what I said should be enough to help you through it. the dissolving water of dissolution, that's where you're looking for. help varian to figure it out. if he does not allow you, push harder. it is important to get there."
she handed the journal back to hugo.
"goodluck"
"I don't need luck, I've been doing great so far" he said with a smug look.
"this will be the first task you face, unlike any mission I have given to you before.. goodluck" he sighed as he clamped his fingers around the journal.
he gave his mentor a nod before he turned around and started heading his way back to the camp.

when he got back he was surprised varian was no longer where he had kept him.
how long had he been gone...
he saw the mad alchemist a few seconds after, storming out of hugo his tend with clenched fist.
"you're looking for this, goggles?" he smirked and held up the journal.
Varian burst out in to a bunch of cursing to which the green eyes widened.
"WHERE DID YOU GO- HUGO I WILL LITERALLY--"
"guys?"
saved by the devil with the fireworks. Hugo bit back a smile as he turned his head to their youngest companion.
"what's going on..? is there a monster?"
varian his ears remained red and he shot hugo a very mad glare before looking at yong.
"if you consider hugo a monster then yes."
so he was going to play it like this. so much for being the grown up.
"he woke up a bit cranky" hugo said and he shrugged.
varian lurched out, to lunch him hugo assumed bit he just snatched the journal from him and stormed off into the forest, the other way hugo had gone earlier this morning.
yong wiped his eyes and he shook his head.
"you should apologise to V"
he said and the look he was giving hugo almost made him feel humiliated.
"for what, making him get some sleep which he desperately need and probably still very much needs?" he snorted and walked off too now, abandoning yong infront of his tent who after a few seconds decided this was not worth his time right now and went back inside.