Chapter Twenty Two. In-love enemies

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

Bill's eyes met her teary ones as he held her wrist with a side smile on his face.

"Let go." She pleaded with her eyes falling to the ground as a tear fell down her cheek.

Bill let go of her hand and watched her straighten up while he remained sitting. She walked to the door in a hurry, leaving him to debate between the joy of paying her back for the wedding news and the regret of making her cry.

Izzy ran outside feeling stupid. Stupid for going back to the station, stupid for wanting to protect him, stupid for trusting him... She tried to walk through the station with her head down so no one would notice her tears, when she stepped out the body guard, Marco, a man Philip had probably hired to keep her from stepping out of the line, was waiting for her. He opened the back door for her and she stepped into the car, holding on to her purse and trying not to cry too loudly as Marco got into the driver's seat.

"Is everything alright?" He asked her but she only replied by asking him to just drive.

She ran into the house as soon as the car stopped, the feeling in her chest was so overwhelming, it was as if it was being teared apart by animals. She opened the front door with the keys in her trembling hands and then she ran into the hall to get to the spiral staircase and hide away in her room for a couple hours, at least until Philip got back home and she had put up with her mistake. But it wasn't a mistake, because she still had to be there for Eryn's sake.

Always used, always hurt. Always by men she trusted. She closed her bedroom door behind her before throwing herself on the small seat by the window. She sat there only to blame herself for this, as she always did, once again she had insulted her own intellect.

Of course Bill used her, of course he would, that was why he had been so reluctant to talk to her when they met a couple of months ago in Campus, he wasn't expecting to see her again... and she had forgiven him for leaving her before... she had so easily put her trust in a man she knew so little about, what hurt the most was knowing that she had gotten herself into a big mess just to make sure that he was safe, and she'd do it again if it came to it. She knew she would, because no matter how hurt she was, she was still in love with Bill. This thought made her cry even harder, as she realized by his words that he had never been in love with her.

Izzy heard the door open after what felt like only a couple of minutes in there; she didn't realize that Philip was opening the door and coming in.

He had been received back home by the maid, she had told him in a low whisper that his wife had gone out to the police station earlier and came back looking like a mess, he was also told that Izzy had locked herself in her room, he had sent Marco home and asked the maid to leave too before walking upstairs. He pulled the tie away from his neck and threw it on a chair in his room.

By the time Izzy looked up at him entering her room he had already heard her soft cries on the hall. He guessed it had something to do with her so awaited reunion with the detective. Philip had guessed he wouldn't be too pleased to know his girlfriend was married to someone else, as no man would be.

Philip looked around in the hall before he came in, closing the door behind him, not sure if the maid had already left; she was a previous employee in his parent's house so he knew she could sometimes be nosy.

"Elizabeth, Lea told me you've been in here all afternoon. Why is that?" Philip asked as he walked to her, standing before her as she tried to cry quietly.

Izzy shook her head and hid her face on her folded arms as they rested on her knees, which were pulled up to her chest. What Izzy failed to understand was how much Philip liked her, he didn't want to see her cry; it hurt him and his pride as well, because she was crying over someone else...