𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍; finder's fee

          𝐒tupid things have good outcomes all the time — JJ Maybank has lived by that belief for as long as he can remember and has not once considered modifying it

Stupid things have good outcomes almost all the time.

Not even that version applies to their current strategy. Voluntarily heading for the Kildare County Police Station after John B explained what went down on the airstrip after they ran off? He figures nothing but a contradictory outcome awaits them.

"John B, what are we doing at the police station?" the blond asks his best friend, staring at the white building in disdain. If what he said is true, if Rafe Cameron really shot Sheriff Peterkin in cold blood, who's to say whose word they'll believe?

John B sighs profoundly. "Somebody's gotta tell them what happened."

The five Pogues sit in a moment of uneasy silence after Kiara kills the engine of her father's SUV. Though, it's soon disrupted as Pope erupts into a series of coughs, thick smoke slithering past his parted lips. 

Marlowe grimaces at the distressed boy, who'd ultimately reached out for JJ's JUUL to help him through the let-downs of the day.

"Easy there, chief... Damn," JJ pats his shoulder before returning his attention to John B. "Alright, I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is."

"Your old man's an abusive liar," Kiara deadpans.

"You still don't waltz into the lion's den," Marlowe mutters back, somehow displeased with Kiara's approach. "I don't trust that they'll listen to you," she adds, focusing on her brown-haired friend.

"I agree with them," Pope exclaims. "Fuck the police."

"Not what I said," Marlowe corrects, though not loud enough to gain their attention.

"You going to the dark side now?" Kiara scoffs.

"When's the last time the police helped us?"

John B cuts in, putting an end to the growing tension. "Peterkin looked out for me, alright?" Silence follows. He turns to look at the building, swallowing. "Tried to, at least... They need to know."