Eventually we ended up at very large dome. The woman called it the dinning hall. It had several entrances and skylights. Smells of strange foods filled the air. My nose crinkled as all of the different scents mixed together. I found Archer among the crowd of individuals. He sat down at a long wooden table by himself.

The woman with the grey streaked hair gave us instructions but I barely heard her. I grabbed a bowl of soup and a plate of some kind of meat and vegetables. The meal looked more filling than anything I had every eaten in the city. I took my seat next to Archer. A similar meal I had chosen was on his plate.

"What do you think of this meat?" He asked. I took a bite and chewed. It had a strange flavor to it.

"It has more flavor," I said.

"It's juicy," he added.

"That's because it's real meat," a girl with long black hair sat down across form us. She smiled at Archer and me. "I'm Jericho. It means his moon."

"Real meat?" I asked. She turned unwillingly towards me.

"Yes, like raised and killed here." She tossed her long hair over her shoulder. "The city mostly doesn't have fresh food like you would think. They create and grow the things they feed you. It's strange."

"Have you ever lived in the city?" Archer asked.

"Nope, and I am lucky that I never will."

"So you were born here," I stated.

"Yes," she smiled. As few of her teeth were slightly crooked. Imperfections that proved that she had not come from where we did. "How old are you two?"

"I'm thirteen," I said.

"And I'm fifteen."

"Interesting," and then added proudly, "I am almost sixteen. My birthday is in a few days."

"We do not have a separate birthday," Archer said.

"You can create one for yourself," she told us. "Then it's easier to keep track of your age. I can create one for you if you'd like."

She was looking directly at Archer as she said this. I felt a strange feeling as heat rose to my cheeks. It was an odd sensation. I surprised myself as I took notice of her appearance. Jericho was attractive, even with her imperfections, and could have easily passed as one of the most attractive from the Forest I had seen in our age group yet.  I reached over and grabbed his hand. He gave mine a squeeze. Jericho watched this exchange between us. It was then that I noticed that she had already analyzed me the way I had just done her. 

"Maybe you could think about it and we can talk a different time," she said to him before collecting her food and sitting down at a different table with a few of her friends. They instantly began chatting away. A few of them looked our way, specifically at me.

"That was weird." I said to Archer. He nodded in agreement but smiled.

"Jealous, I see," he said.

"No," I said quickly as I tried to pull my hand out of his grip but he did not let go.

"Sure," He said. Archer continued to hold my hand as we ate.

*

*

A speech was made at the end of dinner. It was made for the newcomers such as myself. Marie, the woman who seemed to lead the group the most, spoke.

"Now we will begin our interviews of our new additions," she said. "I will read off your number and your questioner will stand and you will follow them. Let us begin."

She read every number. Archer ended up with a woman with bright red hair and glasses. Mine was the only one left.

"And 4522," she read. "You will be coming with me."

Everyone looked at me in surprise. The only face who didn't seem to be shocked was Macallister. More than likely he had already known that this was going to happen. I caught sight of Jericho with her mouth gaped open in disbelief. I could feel the pressure in the room. I stood up slowly. Collected my plate and put it in a stack of other dirty dishes before joining Marie in front of the entire dinning room.

"Thank you for your patience and enjoy the rest of your evening," she concluded. To me, she turned and said. "Follow me, dear."

I did as I was told. We exited the hall through a wooden door. Instead of heading outside we instantly took steps down into a tunnel. After several minutes of walking, we ended up at the large white house that I had seen when we reached the new place outside of the city. They only used it for important things.

"Macallister has informed me that you have already chosen a name for you and your friend," she said as she walked up the steps to the porch.

"Yes," I said.

"And what are those names?"

"Archer for him and Remi for myself."

"Where did you find these names?" She asked but I could tell she already knew the answer.

"From an old book in the library-"

"That you weren't supposed to be in."

"Yes. And those were the characters names."

"The rebel names."I nodded. "I saw your test records. They were impressive."

"Thank you." Marie led me into a sitting room and gesture for me join her.

"You show a greet deal of individuality. You're intelligent. You also seem to have your own ideas and opinions. Those things are hard for someone who has been taught to never be anything but a blind follower."

"Thank you." She narrowed her eyes at me.

"You think that is a compliment?"

"Yes. It seems I have done nearly the impossible."

She smiled. "You're very special, my dear Remi. Let's begin."