The First Task: Lyraa's Adventure

PROMPT: It will begin with an interschool wizard's duel tournament to identify a champion from each school. With all of the whole school united, you are selected along with your frenemy from another house, to represent your school (Hogwarts or Beauxbatons or Durmstrang) in the match. Do you have what it takes to win?

(A/N: I'm representing Hogwarts!)

*

Her palms slipped down her pale face. Her blonde hair shined in the golden evening light peeking through the tent. Her pale face had emerald green eyes and pink lips. A braid was woven in her hair, tied by the end with her owl's feather. She was a beauty, but she didn't want to admit it to anybody.

The girl—Lyraa was her name—was worried. A lot.

She was selected for representing Hogwarts, the British wizardry school, to compete in the Triwizard tournament, along with the other wizard schools; Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. Each school had selected two students from their schools to compete in the first task: a wizard's duel against the three schools, with two representatives for the duel. Whichever school team won would go ahead to the second task, representing the school. If a person from a school fell in battle, the other would go ahead and would have to duel alone. Awesome.

Fortunately, Lyraa was selected. Her.

Unfortunately, her ex-friend—Kevin Merkis—was also selected.

Kevin was a strong wizard, capable of taking down sixth-year wizards, though he himself was in his fourth year. His sorcery in jinxes and spells made him popular and well-known around school—more as a bad boy. He was in the same house as Lyraa—Ravenclaw. More than half of the school would likely be voting for him to represent Hogwarts. Nevertheless, Lyraa doesn't underestimate herself. She is also magnificent at charms and jinxes for a fourth year student, especially her favourite spell—Expelliarmus—which she commonly used if bullies tried picking a fight with her. But she wasn't the best at spells; which Kevin excelled at.

Lyraa paced back and forth in her tent...

'I shouldn't be worried! Whoever wins in the duel, it'll be Hogwarts who wins!' She tried telling herself. It still didn't ease the growing knot of anxiety in her stomach, nor did it help her fast-beating heart. How would it? She was about to do the most scariest and exciting thing that she wasn't prepared well for, even she knew that.

She was going to duel four wizards with an enemy as a partner, being completely unprepared, all while dealing with the pressure of the school and with the obstacles that may or may not come in the way. Oh, and dying.

Lyraa put both her palms on her face and sighed deeply, trying to hold back the tears choking her throat. She remembered how Kevin was her friend in the first year, a good friend; but had broken up that friendship for some reason. He never talked to her again. He'd always sulk or twist his head away from her. That annoyed her. A lot.

Then they were informed that fourth-year students and above could enter the tournament. So naturally, she put her name in the Goblet of Fire. She didn't actually expect the goblet to spit out her name. And coincidentally, it also picked her ex-friend's name; whom she loathed.

Speak of the devil, Said boy passed by her, said, 'Stay away' and left to join the contenders outside. The girl flinched too late. Lyraa understood what her meant, to not stick her nose into battling. He knew it was his business. He also knew she was terrible at duelling. He knew due to the many times in the past when she lost in the easiest of attacking spells in tests, and he would tease her for that. All she was good at were counter-attacks and defences. Not useful.