𝟎𝟏𝟒. begin the begin

Start from the beginning

Izzie Stevens looked down, smiling shyly. "Denny Duquette, 36. Admitted today for a heart transplant necessitated by viral cardiomyopathy."

"And what does that mean?" Bailey quizzed.

"That his heart is unable to fill and pump blood normally," Izzie answered.

"Good," Bailey said. "Denny this is Dr. Stevens. She'll be tending to your private surgery."

Denny grinned widely. "So I guess I'll be seeing you around, Dr. Stevens."

The interns and Dr. Bailey left the room, with Dr. Karev looking less than amused. "Gotta hand it to the guy, trying to get some action when he's practically a corpse," Karev answered.

"He's just trying to be nice," Izzie dismissed them.

"No one enforced an 80-hour work week when I was an intern," Bailey muttered as she moved. "110, 120 hours suited me just fine. I learned more because I worked more."

"Well, at least this way you get a rest before you have the baby. I mean being that pregnant, keeping up this pace," George said.

"Are you saying I look tired O'Malley?" Bailey glared at him.

"No, not tired, no. You look fresh and spry. You glow."

Bailey sighed unamused. "O'Malley you are with the Chief."

"You do glow," Rosa added.

"Like the moon," Alex commented.

"And you can spend the day in the pit Karev," Bailey said. "Simmons, you are with Montgomery-Shepherd. Underwood, you are with the other Dr. Shepherd. Stevens with the Burke. Kennedy and Cervantes, you two are also at the pit. Dunn, you reached your time, leave."

They all nodded and walked off.

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

CHRISTOPHER loved the operating room. He especially loved operating on a heart, just like he was right now, assisting Dr. Burke. And much to Christopher's amusement, Cristina Yang was "grounded," standing a few feet away from the table, watching. It wasn't as if he hated Dr. Yang. He just found her a snob.

"I can see the mesothelioma better now that we've partially dissected it," Christopher said.

"Um, I can't uh," Cristina said. "I can't see it from here. Can I go in closer?"

"You're fine there," Burke said, forcing Christopher to suppress a laugh.

They stopped, however, when Richard Webber entered the O.R. "Preston, good news. We have a heart for Denny Duquette."

"Great news," Burke said. "Has he been called?"

"Got here 10 minutes ago," Webber said.

Burke nodded. "Good. I was worried we couldn't find a match in time."

"We have a plane ready to take you to Twin Falls, Idaho for the organ recovery. 90 mins each way. How much more do you have here?"

"Uh, the heart comes out first," Burke said. "I'll be cutting it too close."

"They have a local heart team there so-" Richard began.

"No," Burke interrupted. "Hughes will go. He'll be our eyes."

"I will?" Christopher asked.

"Yes, you will," Burke said.

Richard nodded and then stared at Cristina. "Dr. Yang, you need to leave this O.R."