Chapter 21

Archie had lost his appetite after the talk with Hermione. Dinner he just spend with picking around his food. He already was trying his best to make it seem like he was okay. Hermione eyed him every once in a while but didn't say anything.

"We," Fred cleared his throat "We actually want to announce something" He turned to face Hermione, taking her hand "We are going to get married, next spring on the 15th of May"

That's... definitely not something that Archie would have expected. When his parents got divorced, Fred didn't even want to get a new girlfriend and now they were already marrying. Not that he was against that, it was just surprising.

"Well, then I'll get the champagne" Christoph said, getting up to walk in the kitchen.

"I would be happy if you would come to Riverdale then, if you can make it with college"

"Of course, I will come"

The weeks and months passed. Archie got up in the morning in a cold bed. He got in new clothes and headed to class. In the afternoon, he paid all of his attention to sport. He was able to forget Jughead sometimes, only to then cry himself back to sleep. He didn't tell anyone about it though, not even Hermione.

But being at college had its upsides too. Archie was able to get to know himself again. He had more time to figure out who he was and what he wanted. He was able to be himself, without pressure or pretending.

How would Jughead react when they see one another again after a year? Would the butterflies return? Would there still be love between them? Was there still hope?

Once again, his father picked him up from the airport, driving him back to Riverdale. Archie chose the moment between the silence of the two and the stupid music playing the same songs every ten minutes while they were on the three hour drive to start talking.

"Is... Is Jughead home?"

"No idea. He's been coming and going ever since summer. But he knows that I'm picking you up" Fred shrugged and Archie nodded, chewing on his lip to think about what to ask next without making it too obvious, hopefully.

"Hey, dad?"

"Yeah?"

"I... I should tell you something..."

"What's up? Trouble at college?"

"No... something- something else"

"Do I have to worry about you?"

"No, but... last summer, I lied about why I needed to go" He said, waiting for Fred to do something but his father just stayed silent "Jughead and I slept together"

Not as subtle as he hoped he would deliver.

Better to have it out though, right?

Fred almost hit the breaks, driving the car off the road if Archie wouldn't have kept the steering wheel under his wing as well in that moment.

"Tell again, please?" Fred asked, having the car back under control. Archie inhaled before repeating, this time with more explanation.