Chapter 3: All the Things I Hate about You

Start from the beginning

"Do you want the truth?" He questioned but wasn't expecting an answer whilst he amusingly leaned his cheek on his upright hand, "In all honesty, I don't see you as a threat. It's no fun beating up someone who's not worth my time, however..."

Rindo trailed off as (y/n)'s ears perked up in interest.

'However...?' She thought.

"You're annoying as shit."

An irk mark appeared on the (h/c)-haired student but, to be honest, it was a fair comment so she didn't make any rebuttals. She decided to accept the consequences of fighting back, for once.

'Huahh... Is he really this guy I should fear...?' (Y/n) simply glanced at him before releasing another exasperated breath as she didn't have the strength to put up another fight so early in the morning.

"Might as well pass my time messing with the newcomer in town as I find the guys I'm looking for."

There it was again. She tilted her head in confusion but ultimately decided not to question it. He said the same thing the other day, but it wasn't her business and she couldn't care less either. Maybe if she helped find the people he's looking for, he can finally leave her alone...

Nah.

His existence is already painfully aggravating as it is so imagine boosting the idea that she— the person who started it all— offered to be nice. Yeah no, she would like to spare him laughing at her face and probably blackmailing her for it.

'Wait...' (y/n) thought and sat up straight as Rindo questioningly glanced at her.

What if that's the trick to getting him out of her hair? No, not offering to help him. What if he had a taste of his own medicine?

Throughout the whole week, Rindo was always the one to initiate conflict as (y/n) retaliated— despite starting this whole mess. She never liked confrontation until as of recently, but that may change.

The determined female suddenly turned her body towards Rindo as said male internally jumped at the sudden movement. She intensely scrutinized him whilst his face slowly morphed into a cautious gaze.

"What do you want, (l/n)?" He asked monotonously. When all he received was a blank stare, he clicked his tongue at the lack of response.

No words were spoken from the time it took (y/n) to blink and the time it took for her to stand up and step towards him. God... what is she planning to do now—

It was a pretty quick movement considering how sluggish she was in the morning as her hand reached out to his face. The tall male inwardly breathed in and caught her wrist just a couple of inches away from his eyes.

"The hell—" Rindo muttered and scrunched up his eyebrows. Did he truly reach her breaking point or something, "What are you doing?!"

Without another word did (y/n) use her other hand to do the same thing, but was immediately caught by Rindo.

"Ehh..." The (y/h) girl sounded in a dreary realization, "I don't think I can annoy you if your reflexes are that fast."

She simply sighed and closed her eyes before attempting to turn back to her seat, but wasn't able to move since Rindo had a firm grip on her wrists.

"Let go of me, Haitani—"

Before she knew it, Rindo tugged her wrists closer to him and by that point, (y/n) was now fully aware of the situation. Whatever possessed her to carry out her plans of initially annoying the Haitani to leave her be was now replaced with the realization of how terrifying his presence truly was.

"Oh? Was that what that was, (l/n)?" The violet-eyed male gave a one-sided grin and (y/n) tensed slightly. The bright purple of his eyes darkened to a deep amethyst, "You think you can play out this silly game you started so easily? Just because I can 'throw a punch or two' doesn't mean I have to... I'm really showing you my nice side unless.... you want me to treat you like any another gangst—"

Bam!

Before the younger Haitani could process what happened, an eraser struck his forehead and he fell out of his seat from the sudden impact. Upon opening his eyes, he was met with the same taken aback expression he was exuding from the (e/c)-eyed girl.

"You..." she gulped and felt her hand tremble, "Forgot your eraser..."

There was a quick second pause as (Y/n) hurriedly returned to her seat and began to distract herself by drawing in her sketchbook and avoiding any eye contact. Being able to say anything after that without stuttering was surprising to her.

Meanwhile, Rindo stared dumbfounded. Despite her on-and-off appearance of waning courage, there was something he did not quite understand about her. Even though she was scared. Even though he can see the fear in her eyes. Even though she trembled at throwing the eraser at him... she still managed to stand up to him.

And it's bothering him.

He had plenty of encounters where other gangs had initial tenacity before fighting against him and his brother, but knew first-hand that that spirit would soon be crushed. Hell, he went to jail because of gang fights. He knows it's different.

But her... This simple girl who has too much misplaced confidence in her abilities... was a mystery to him. Is it because she's new to this town that she doesn't know who he is? Or is it the fact that he is going easy on her and she doesn't know what he can do? Whatever it was, his usual tactics are not working and yet...

He was getting entertained.

"You're really something, (l/n)," the blonde spoke, stood up and sat back in his seat as (y/n) glanced at him from her sketchbook, "And I hate it."

"I'm glad you figured that out," she rolled her (e/c) eyes and returned to her pencil-filled sketches, but Rindo continued to stare at her in a calculating manner.

It was odd. Normally, this would irritate him to no end and immediately show the person why they should fear him. At this point, he would keep his promise and start to treat her as if she was any other gang member. And yet, there was something so intriguing about her. Something that told him to pursue his antics until she finally broke and his sadistic nature took hold of that.

"You're much more fun than I thought you'd be..."

—~—

Author's note: Nothing much to add :3 I hope yall are enjoying the holidays

Take care and see you in the next chapter :)