Chapter 3: NuNew's Life Detours

Start from the beginning

Roger smiled at him, "I am sorry, NuNew, but children your age must be in school, not the university. They have special schools for small children. You will meet new friends tomorrow."

He handed NuNew a wrapped present he had brought with him. It was nothing much, but it was something to make the children feel welcome.

NuNew was frustrated and wanted to argue, but he knew it was useless, so his strategy became to deal with the schools. "Thank you, Mr. Roger. We will go tomorrow to your school". Roger, satisfied with the answer, turned back to the adults.

When he turned around, every single member of the family was quietly laughing. Tee had interpreted the conversation for his parents. Roger wondered if something was unique about the boy besides his beauty that he didn't know about.

Roger would call the school to ensure they were ready for this unique family. He was sure the child had not graduated high school, but he did not want to take any chances.

Tee snickered, "Well, Nong, you will be going back to school. This time you will graduate in a week." Tee laughed and left the room.

Roger looked around the room, puzzled. Something was up with that kid. He wished them a good night and left.

After Mr. Roger left and his mother was back at the table, NuNew asked his mother, "Ma, do you know where all my school documents are?" She pointed to a case that he had never seen before. It was too big to hold a graduation certificate until he looked inside.

It was every award, paper, achievement, news article, and recommendation he had ever received. He turned and looked at her, astounded. She smirked and said, "I am your Ma; I keep everything.

The family was tired, and it was late, and they knew it would be a long day. They all went to bed, wondering what tomorrow would bring. The next morning bright and early, Ma got out of bed to begin her day.

Ma had breakfast on the table and lunch bags on the counter when the boys woke up. Nu went behind her and put his arms around her. "I Love you, Ma. You worked hard."

His mom turned and hugged her special boy, "Go get your father and brother for breakfast before it gets cold."

NuNew went to do as his mother bid, and they had a great breakfast together. NuNew already knew his day was going to be a long one, so he ate more.

When they were ready to leave, everyone hugged Pa and wished him luck on his first day. Ma and the boys headed in the other direction.

After walking for five minutes, they arrived, where children of various ages were milling about. He assumed this was the American school system.

His Ma could speak and understand English but preferred her son to do the talking. It had been a while since university, and it was not a language she used every day. NuNew was concerned that she might be overwhelmed.

He put his arms around Ma's shoulders and followed the signs to the school office. NuNew went to the desk, quickly talked to the officials, and interpreted for his Ma.

"Hello, we are the Perdpiriyawong family. My brother Tee is here to register for school, and I am here for testing," NuNew said calmly and handed her their paperwork.

He tilted his head because he saw on American television that some people tilted their heads when waiting for a reply. The receptionist was surprised at this boy's proficiency in the English language. His intonation was perfect.

The receptionist looked at the small boy, wondering what the fuss was about. He was a tiny nine-year-old child. Why did they need to assess him?

Looking past NuNew, she spoke to his brother, "Tee, you may follow my assistant. She will take you to your classes. The Jr. high is across the campus. They will test you there. NuNew, you can wait here with your mother. I will get the principal," the receptionist said sweetly.