Chapter 3: NuNew's Life Detours

Start from the beginning

When his career is over, he will become a coach. The Perdpiriyawong's always knew where they were going.

Two days later, the boys got on the plane and sat beside each other. They put their heads together and began talking again.

"Tee, are you sure about this? We can change our minds if the plane door is open. It would be best if you did not give up all your friends that came to see you off," NuNew was upset about today's send-off.

Tee laughed. He thought his brother was playing with him, then realized he was serious when he saw the tears in his eyes.

"NuNew, you know this trip is about you. This is about starting your life. You are special. No one is like you in our family. Hell, no one is like you. This is your chance to shine. I am giving up a year to give you a lifetime."

NuNew threw himself at his brother and hugged and held him until he fell asleep in his brothers' arms. Tee loved when his little brother still snuggled against him like when he was a baby.

Tee's eyes begin to shut, his head tilted towards NuNew's. Once it rested gently against his, they were both asleep. Pa and Ma both took pictures as they watched the sweet moment.

Many hours later, they arrived in Arizona in the city of Tempe. It was all very confusing for the family except for NuNew. He had done his research. He steered his family in the direction they needed to go.

The company sent a liaison to assist them with their transition and a ride to where they needed to go. They were to stay in company housing for the year.

Roger Chen appeared in a hurried mess. He was so clumsy that he dropped his briefcase four times before they left the terminal.

Thankfully, a driver took them to the company housing property. Where once inside, the adults sat down for tea. He told the children to call him Mr. Roger since he did not understand Thai customs and didn't want to offend them by doing something wrong.

They all smiled in agreement. The children looked at each other. American customs will be more challenging to get used to than the language. Being children was going to put them at a severe disadvantage.

NuNew stayed nearby in case his parents needed assistance. They did, and he quickly stepped in. While his Pa and Ma could speak and understand English, they preferred their son deal with the conversations to make them quicker and easier for everyone.

Roger handed his father manila folders with labels on the front, which his father passed to him. It was all the information they would need while here.

When NuNew looked through the folders, he saw one that said school on the label, one for Tee, and one for himself. NuNew interrupted Roger with his sweet sing-song voice.

Mr. Roger, I graduated from what you consider a high school in Thailand. I am here to attend university," NuNew stated proudly.

Roger's head whipped around, looking down at the little boy standing before him. He almost fell in love with the sound of NuNew's voice and went to a knee to be eye-to-eye with the child.

When Roger looked at this exquisitely beautiful, tiny boy, he wondered if a child's beauty of this magnitude even existed in the world. Why didn't he notice him sooner? Maybe because he was so quiet.

If someone wanted to describe an angel, they would have used this child's picture. How lucky he was to have seen him in this lifetime.

Beauty aside, he looked at NuNew and pondered how he could have graduated or known what a university was. He was sure it was a language barrier, even though the child spoke perfect English.