Chapter 37: I'm tasting it

By the time Subaru, Rem and Christophe complete the mayonnaise, it is well past the point when Subaru and Rem start preparing for lunch.

After briefly celebrating and Subaru hitting Christophe's back in approval, their neglected obligations put a damper on their spirits. That is when a certain figure enters the kitchen they are in.

(A/N): The mansion may have a double kitchen located on each side of the dining hall.

Ram: "Ram thought this would happen. Don't worry, preparations have been made."

Ram proudly stands before the three with a plate of her specialty, steamed tatoes.

While her steamed tatoes do taste delicious, the simple thought of offering it as a lunchtime meal, to an esteemed noble no less, seems quite questionable.

HOWEVER! With the newly made mayonnaise, it could be a better solution.

Exiting the kitchen and setting the table, which is already very crowded, Subaru and Christophe sit at their usual places while Rem and her sister bring the tatoes and the newly made condiment on the table before separating, Ram sitting at her usual place and Rem once again sitting at her new place, right next to Christophe.

Subaru: "-and so, this is the ultimate flavor, handed down by my people, called mayonnaise. Put it on the steamed tatoes, and you'll experience its taste to the fullest. Give it a try!"

Christophe: "So much for just a simple condiment... It only help avoiding a dry taste like tatoes- I mean, potatoes use to have most of the time. Or any meal like that, honestly. At least, that's what I think."

(A/N): Me too.

With everyone looking at the dish on the table, a plain display of steamed tatoes topped with mayonnaise is seen.

Roswaal: "Once agaaaaaain, this is quite a dish you've cooked up."

Subaru: "I wanted you all to understand the greatness of mayonnaise. To accentuate its flavor, I even forced Rem and Ram to serve only the bare essentials. If you've got any complaints, I'll take full responsibility-"

Christophe: "Ahem."

Clearing his throat in an annoyed tone, Christophe catches Subaru's attention who turns his head. Seeing a glare from him, Subaru corrects himself.

Subaru: "O-Of course, Christophe is the one who has succeeded in preparing the mayonnaise."

Still staring at Subaru, Christophe's glare hasn't changed, clearly telling Subaru he has said something he shouldn't have. Swallowing his saliva, Subaru corrects himself once more.

Subaru: "W-Well, I didn't exactly force Rem and Ram to serve only the bare essentials. We just didn't have a choice."

Christophe: "That's better."

Subaru: "Well, let's dig in, shall we? Come on, have a taste of this magnificent dish!"

Looking around the table, Christophe notices everyone is quite reluctant in tasting the condiment. As for Subaru, he looks towards the person whose reaction most matters to him, only to find Emilia eyeing her plate cautiously.

Subaru: "How is it Emilia-tan? Feel like eating?"

Emilia: "It's my first time seeing something like this, so it's honestly a bit scary. But Rem and Christophe guarantee its taste and you're so passionate about it, so I want to believe it's good."

In all honesty, it didn't have the kind of appearance that invites first-timers to try it without hesitation.

Christophe: "Sorry, Emilia. I did my best to faithfully recreate the look of it. Even Rem helped me, but it was not enough. However..."