CHAPTER 7

Jennifer P.O.V

I slump into my seat, my hand still locked in Josh's grip. The soft hum of his snore is surprisingly settling and calming. I look across at him. His face is bruised, badly. His messy dark hair is damp on his forehead.

I look down at my phone to see 5 missed calls from Ben and 2 from Meredith.

I text Ben, saying:
Hey, sorry about the incident last night. I had to get to Josh. I'll explain later, should be home by 5. Love you xx

Ben texts back with a simple:
Okay, love you too xx

Then a doctor walks into the emergency room. He gives me a sympathetic smile and takes the clipboard from the end of Josh's bed. He observes the information, flipping through the pages.

"Okay," he mutters. "Time to wake him up I think," he informs me before walking round to Josh's side and shaking Josh's arm.

"Joshua," he says loudly. He shakes his arm again. "Mr.Hutcherson?" He says a bit louder.

Josh stirs in his sleep before blinking his eyes open. He frowns, looks around and stares back at the doctor.

"Hello," the doctor greets him. "I'm Dr. Shore," the doctor informs him with a welcoming smile.

Josh grumbles something, that neither me or Dr. Shore understand.

"Do you remember the events of last night?" Dr. Shore asks.

Josh rolls his eyes. "I think so," Josh mutters.

"And what do you think happened?" the doctor asks as he reaches Josh's clipboard of information again.

Josh furrows his eyebrows and looks down at his body. "I got very drunk," he says, a smirk emerging on his face. "And then, then... this," he says gesturing towards his face.

"Yes. But, to be accurate, you were hit by a car after you ran across the road in your drunken state," the doctor reminds Josh.

Josh just laughs. To the doctor this seems bizarre that Josh is laughing, but to me I know he is holding back all his emotions and he is completely and utterly embarrassed.

The doctor runs a blood test and does a couple of normal checks, and after about half an hour leaves us alone in the room.

"You terrified me last night Josh," I say sadly.

Josh looks down and grumbles, "Sorry."

"I'm just happy you're alive," I sigh. "By the way, I told your mother to not come here, and Leon is probably collapsed in his bed at home now. Jack was supposed to take him home," I mention.

"Jack?" Josh enquires.

"Yeah, Jack," I say. "He was at my 'welcome back' party and we really hit it off."

Josh glances at me and starts laughing. "So you two slept with each other then?" He chuckles.

"No actually," I laugh. "Josh, I actually have some morals and standards," I say eyeing him.

A smile spreads across his face before he turns to face me. "Sorry about last night. You must be so tired," he says sadly.

"I am a little tired. I've had a few hours. I've lived on less," I say before yawning.

"You can go home if you want to," Josh tells me.

I shake my head. "No," I say. "I'm just fine here," I say.

There was still a distant and awkward feeling between me and Josh. It had been so long since we'd spoken, and we easily reconnect, but that's because we're such a good friends. However, there is a slight tension between us. But, to be completely fair, we'd only started talking again about a week ago.