Testing The Waters

Start from the beginning

The other two followed.

^_^^_^^_^

"What in the name of Salazar made you think that this was a good idea?" Severus asked, perplexed.

"Oh come now Severus, they were worried about you. I think they should be allowed to see you. Not to mention, you must be bored with only me in the house. You need people your age around," McGonagall replied.

"But-- but, you didn't even ask me if I was okay with this!" Severus seethed.

"Aren't you on good terms with the boys? Did they go back to bullying you?" She said, widening her eyes momentarily.

Gulping, he answered, "No. They've been good to me. I-- nevermind."

Severus' pride would not allow him to tell her that he was embarrassed to meet the boys because he sent them rings as Christmas presents and he was worried that he would make a further fool of himself in front of said boys.

Breathing a sigh of relief, McGonagall smiled, "Then if there's nothing bad going on between you lot then I think this will be good for you. Go get ready after you're done eating. They'll be here at noon."

He nodded, wondering how in the name of Merlin he would survive the day.

^_^^_^^_^

At the bottom of the staircase, Severus tugged at the sleeves of his pale pink sweater. Taking in a deep breath he emerged from his safe spot when McGonagall called out his name. At the entrance stood Mr and Mrs Potter, a beautiful couple, exchanging pleasantries with McGonagall.

"This is Severus," McGonagall said, placing a hand on his back and nudging him forward.

Cringing, he said, "Good afternoon Mr and Mrs Potter."

Mrs Potter smiled, "Hello dear Severus, you look lovely."

She came closer to him, making him breathe in the faint scent of roses that lingered on her, "No wonder those boys didn't tell me about you, you're adorable. They wanted to keep you all to themselves. Selfish people."

Severus felt heat rushing up his neck and ears.

"I assure you Mrs Potter. It's nothing of the sort."

Placing a hand on her chin and squinting her eyes she refuted, "No, I think it's definitely as I said."

He just shook his head helplessly. She chuckled at his response, "Well. I'll give you boys a moment. I heard you were injured before the holiday. Are you feeling better now?"

He nodded.

"Alright then," she said, standing up straight and giving him one last smile. She hooked her arm with her husbands and followed McGonagall, who started walking.

Silence engulfed the area in which he stood, he turned his head in the direction of the door and felt his breath hitch in his throat.

Shrouded by the little sunlight that sometimes shone in winter, three of the Marauders stood at the door, and Merlin were they handsome.

Remus' hair was styled in a side part, he had a dark blue sweater, and a pale blue shirt, Severus only saw the collar of said shirt. Sirius' hair was in a messy bun and he had a maroon sweater above a cream shirt. He had a pendant that was shaped as a dragons eye hanging on his neck. James had a pastel purple shirt on, along with a dark unbuttoned sweater, his hair looked fluffy and less of a mess it usually was. All of them were dressed in trousers that were darker shades of their sweaters.

As his eyes travelled further down he noticed the rings he gifted each of them adorning the middle finger of their right hands. His heart skipped a beat-- no, it skipped three beats.