PROLOGUE: ♟️

March 2011, San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan

"She often felt lonely,
Despite a crowded room

She liked to stay up late,
And tell stories to the moon

She danced in what little light,
The stars allowed to be seen,

And she often kept herself awake,
For the night that was built for nothing but a dream"

***
Don Luis Araneta, a renowned architect, scion to the clan of land gentry from Silay in Negros Occidental and his wife Emma owns vast majority of the farm land in San Jose Del Monte in Bulacan.

They employ hundreds of families to help them cater to the needs of the farm estate, the farm house and the newly awarded project of residential property development to their heir, their only child- Greggy.

The couple would frequently come to oversee the operations, and in a way.. relax, every weekend. Away from the buzzing sounds of their city life in Makati.

They are known to be kind, generous and compassionate people despite their wealth. Unlike their son Greggy, who is notorious for being ruthless and rascal. Greggy himself is an architect, but in contrast with his father, his work principles are dependent on how much monetary value it would add, to his already overflowing assets.

He is not one to settle. He loves his independence more than anything.. except maybe for one person, Donna. His high school sweetheart, now a model and just like Greggy, she loves her freedom so much that marriage is a road that she's not taking, no matter what is at stake.

And then there's Irene.
Fourth year Intarmed student at the University of the Philippines. An orphan by nature, after losing both her parents and her brother to a tragic car accident two years ago.

Her father's brother, her only surviving relative, take on the responsibility to be her guardian, only to dispense her parent's life savings, their family's fortune to gambling and drugs.

With little to no choice at all, with nowhere else to go, she moved in with his family in the Araneta farm in Bulacan. They are part of the community of family who works there full time.

Just as though spending all of what was supposed to be for Irene is not enough, he also bargained to sell Irene in an underground human trafficking syndicate that exploits women for sex in exchange for the debt he can no longer pay.

***
It is a sunny and warm afternoon in Bulacan, with Don Luis and Madam Emma lounging outside the farmhouse when they heard the commotion.

It was Robert, dragging a visibly distress Irene out of the farm. His creditors are outside waiting for him and Irene. Still wearing her hospital uniform, tears are flowing nonstop from her eyes with her constant pleas to the man who is supposed to stand as her father.

'Robert! Ano to? Anong ginagawa mo sa bata?'
All guards and security personnel are on alert the moment Don Luis stands up.

'Labas na họ kayo dito. Maarte lang talaga tong babae na to.'

With a discreet nod from Don Luis, security brings him to his knees causing him to yelp in pain. Madam Emma then take Irene inside to help her calm down.

Irene doesn't know what's happening outside anymore. There's now silence.  But the fear inside her is loud. Loud enough to make her feel all sorts of fears.

'Irene..'
"Po?" Even with her legs shaking, she still manage to get up.
'Pack your things, lahat ng pang school mo. Never mind your clothes, bibili na lang tayo. Sige na, anak. Kaya mo ba?'
"Don Luis.. si Tito? Nasa labas pa po ba? San po ako pupunta?"

'Binayaran ko na lahat ng utang nya sa loan shark. Don't worry, you're safe now.'
"Po? Ako po, san po ako pupunta? Paano po ako?"

'You're safe now. Ikaw ang ibinayad nya sa utang nya sakin. Pack your things, we're going home.'