...

She began walking without holding the bars in physical therapy. 'You are making progress,' she repeated her mother's words. Whether she believed them, she didn't know. But she'd come back next week regardless.

...

An amber night light illuminated reflected off of her phone screen. She stopped herself from drafting another message. 'You were never going to send it anyway.'

...

A collection of knick-knacks left her room. It hardly made a difference, but she was relieved to not have to look at them anymore.

...

She watched a movie with her parents. She made it known that it was very dumb. So dumb in fact, that the idiocy of the characters scared her more than the monster.

...

A laptop joined the top of her desk and quickly became her favourite item on it. It helped her write essays. It also helped her procrastinate on them.

...

She stared at the words on the screen before whacking her head on the keyboard. What did that prompt even mean?

...

It's the weekend. She looked at the ceiling, listless.

...

"How are you doing?"

"Alright, I guess."

It didn't feel like a lie.

...

Rain pitter-pattered against her window. She doesn't know how long she lost herself in its lullaby.

...

At its worst, her life was mundane. At its best, her life was a comforting calm after chaos. It was a trade-off she accepted easily.

――――――――――

Eyes locked onto her leg as she walked. The motion was smooth. No tripping. No awkward gait. Not even a dull itch. Behind her, her father brimmed with happiness that could be seen from kilometres away. But Yeomin's gaze remained locked onto the plastic limb.

'What.'

All reason said that she should be excited. Yeomin felt more like someone hit her over the head with a bat. Wave after wave of excitement, shock, maddening relief, and confusion sent her reeling. It didn't even feel real. The unwavering sight of her walk was punctuated only by a heavy, thudding heartbeat.

"Yeomin?"

"Yeah?"

"How are you feeling, feeling excited?" Her dad ruffled her hair, and Yeomin struggled to form a coherent thought.

"Yeah. Uh sure."

" 'Uh sure.' "

Ripped out of her reverie with a scowl, Yeomin whacked his hand away. "I don't know, okay? Stop making fun of me. I just―when? What?" She jerked her arms towards her legs as if that would explain anything.

Laughing, he asked, "Haven't processed it yet?"

"I guess?"

"Trust me, little one, it'll hit you soon enough."

"It just doesn't feel real at all."

"Well, it is real. You heard the doctor. You're free to roam as you please!" Picking her up, her dad lifted her into a back-breaking hug and twirled her around. "Probably no running though."