1-4: Refusal of the Call (Spider 19)

Start from the beginning

It's basically cheating and they still have the audacity to boast about being 'better' than everyone else when they have only proven how rich, lazy and vain they are!

So I grinded like crazy to show up those pretentious brats.

Somewhere along the way, I became the top player in general.

I was super proud of myself for that, maybe too proud actually.

I kept on grinding to make sure I didn't fall behind, to make sure I didn't lose my prestigious position to someone else.

It got worse when I befriended the Good Boy Trio, because in addition to playing with them with my second, new character, I still had to grind with my main as per usual whenever they raise the level cap.

Having to spend time with the Otaku Club and Arcade Gang also cut into my grind time, so I slept even less to make up for it so as to catch up on all the games and animes and mangas and more.

The situation with my grades at school was similar as well, though in addition to being proud, I was also worried that I would be made fun of if I didn't score well all of the sudden.

Actually, it was the same with being Skanda, people will no doubt make fun of me if I ever fail to live up to their expectations.

I was already self-sufficient with stock trading and my minimalistic lifestyle, so it's not like I needed to get a good education.

With that in mind, why did I even go to high school in the first place when I could have ended things at the conclusion of middle school?

It was nothing but the stress of keeping up appearances.

Literally too, as I have to use make-up to hide my self-deprived baggy eyes.

All because going to high school is what was expected of me? I guess so.

Same with being an online legend, why did I put myself through all that pain just to live up to the expectations of people I don't even know? That won't care about me beyond the vanity of fame?

I was a slave to my own and others' expectations, and barely slept because of it.

Once again, I am reminded of the reason why becoming a Monster is a good thing.

No more worrying about what is expected from me, be it by others or myself.

And since just being alive is basically enough for me, I am content with my new life.

Well, I can definitely do with better food I guess, but beggars can't be choosers.

Inner Critic: Wasting your life away yet again, Hiiro?

Piss off, Inner Critic, don't act like you actually care about that beyond feeling superior to me by putting me down instead of working on yourself.

I look around my house while playing with my yoyo.

I have a workshop where I store the bones of my prey and rocks I have gathered.

This is also where I made my furniture and tools.

I have actually made a pickaxe and began trying to mine my way to the surface.

Seems like a safer plan than wandering around this dangerous cavern, and more likely to work as well as I am not exploring aimlessly for some unknown exit.

In the ceiling, I have already dug out a hidden shaft where I store the egg in case of a robbery.

Sure, it is a little inconvenient having to go up there just to grab it to use as my main weapon, but it is my most prized possession so far, so I don't want anyone taking it while I was distracted.

Outside my hut is the graveyard of my prey.

I wonder when I will run out of space for gravesilks? And what will I do then?

Then there is the living room, where balls of silk are scattered around the carpeted floor.

I made a bunch of them to help level up my [Spider Thread], which lets me customise them more and more.

Heck, I even made myself a replacement Kirby plushie to snuggle with when I sleep.

Still bitter that I lost my original one to being isekai'd. Nai wa.

But back on topic, I sometimes play with the silk balls like I'm a cat or something.

In my old life, I would be too embarrassed to do that, even when I'm alone in my room.

Inner Critic: All because you're afraid of being judged by ghosts of all things, Hiiro. How much sillier can you get?

Not the point, Inner Critic.

Now that I'm not part of Human society, the shame of acting so childishly and weirdly isn't really there anymore.

I never felt more liberated in both my lives.

It's like for the first time, I am able to be my truest self.

Free to dance like an idiot from time to time while blasting cheesy music in my head.

I'm a dance machine, baby! Woo!

And I actually got a Skill from dancing called [Athletics], which probably helps with movement or something.

I'm so happy, I'm so happy with my new life and new home.

So happy I think I'm going to cry.

Inner Critic: Like a little witch, Hiiro?

But I can't?

Well, I suppose I am a spider, and I don't think spiders have tear glands.

Oh well, can't have them all, I think I will doze off for now.

Inner Critic: Good night, Hiiro.

Then all of the sudden, my security threads start shaking violently and I see light and smoke in the distance.

Wait, is that fire!?