Chapter Thirty - Why Not Now?

Start from the beginning

My parents would only be a few hours out and I wanted to be back home in time to prepare them – either they would be able to back the principal down or we would be battening down the hatches for what was to come.

So caught up in my own mind, I didn't register that someone was following me until I felt hands pushing into me hard enough that I stumbled and hit the ground, my hands breaking my fall.

Pain radiated through both of my wrists and palms as I tried to understand what happened – I didn't react fast enough and before I could start yelling, fingers dug into my hair.

My head was yanked back viciously enough that I cried out and rocked back onto my knees to relieve some of the sharp pain.

Miranda's face nearly pushed into my own, "You smug little bitch. For some reason, you have everything that I want at the moment and I don't like it. First River chooses you, then Heath turns down my offer at the movies followed by the fact that the Principal hands you a position that I want. I am the most popular person in this fucking place and no trampy alley-cat is going upset that."

I coughed, my hands going back to wrap around her wrist as I dug my nails into her skin, trying to get her to release me even though it only seemed to make her pull harder.

My eyes filled with tears that I fought to hold in – predators preyed on the weak and although I'd never shown it, I was anything but weak. All I had wanted was some normal life experience before everything became too hectic but I was not going to allow myself to be beaten down anymore by Miranda when there was nothing more to lose.

She was going to know all about me soon anyway. What difference could standing up do now compared to what was going to happen after Miranda realised who exactly she had abused?

Maybe I was wrong about walking away from River even though it was to protect him but I wasn't wrong about what was coming – what would happen when Miranda and her friends realised what they had missed for nearly six years.

"You can have the committee, I don't want it." I grinned unpleasantly, "And as for River and Heath, I guess they just know better than to play with the trash."

Her mouth gaped open for a short moment before a furious flush covered her face, "You little fucking bitch!" She exclaimed, "Has opening your legs to the Daimon brothers scrambled your brains so much that you think I'll let you get away with talking to me like that?"

I chuckled, "Not all of us have to open our legs to feel powerful, Miranda."

She smiled, "So you feel powerful? And yet you're on your knees, Alira."

I released my hold on her arm to swing at her face, my hand cracking loudly across her cheek, "I may be on my knees right now but at least I know that in a year's time none of this will mean anything. I'll be getting ready for college while you try to figure out whether to work at McDonalds or walk the streets."

Cruel, I know but I had had enough. It had been a shit day overall and I wasn't willing to take anymore.

There was a second of relief as she let go of me but it was premature as I tried to twist away from the foot aimed at my stomach.

I took the surprisingly hard hit on my side, my voice breaking on a cry as pain radiated from my ribs down over my hip. I rolled backwards to protect myself from the sudden onslaught, eventually curling into the foetal position to wait out her fury.

It was agony but the speed at which she attacked me, I knew that trying to get up would make my face and stomach vulnerable. So I waited and winced at every bruise that I knew would decorate my skin before the sun went down.

"You fucking bitch," she finally screamed, her breath coming fast as she stepped back, seemingly exhausted. "You talk to me like that again I'll kill you." I peeked out to see her pointing at me, "You just made the worst mistake of your life."

There was nothing more as she turned away, heading back towards the gymnasium as I warily pushed myself to my feet.

Goddamnit, I hurt!

I stumbled towards the parking lot, knowing that the walk home was going to be long and torturous – I had missed the bus home.

"My car!" I suddenly yelled, my body flinching in reaction to the pain that radiated through my abdomen. How could have I forgotten that my precious car was still sitting in River's front yard. For some reason it made everything worse that he could now hate me enough to refuse me to even have it picked up. I would never be welcome within those gates again.

With my head hanging forward, my hair wild enough that they covered my face and the fact that I wanted to block out the world, I somehow managed to ignore the roar of an engine until tires squealed bare metres from where I stood on the path.

I glanced up as an electric window sounded, my eyes widening with confusion as they met furious ones.

"Get in, Alira," his voice demanded as he almost leant out of the window.

I backed away, looking for some way to escape, "Heath."