The Final Showdown

Beginne am Anfang

"You insolent child, what have you done?"

I urgently turned away, searching for a way out. When suddenly my mothers familiar comforting presence overtook me. No words were uttered, but none were needed, I simply understood. I turned back to the god. Who I guess if my dad's mom was actually Persephone, that would make him my grandfather in law. But then if Gaia was my mom, wouldn't he be my nephew? Nope not going to think about that, sticking with grandfather.

"Sorry grandfather, I would stay and help clean, but I've got some things I've got to take care of."

His face turned from anger to confusion. "What? Grandfather?"

"Tell grandmother, I wish her well."

I turned upwards, to the cavern roof above as I gripped the spear in my hands. Hades already shaking off my comments, as he ordered what remained of his army to fight back. "Stop him!"

But as the Furies turned to charge, and but a few skeletons attempted to rise, it was already too late. I plunged the spear into the ground, and the whole palace seemed to shake on its foundations. Cracks along the wall lengthening, as the whole cavern seemed to shake back and forth. And a flurry of vines erupted forth from the ground. Wrapping around me in a plant like sphere as I was pulled below. And though I had no real way of knowing, I knew I was traveling towards the surface.

Percy's POV

There he was, waiting for us, in his black leather duster and his sunglasses, an aluminum baseball bat propped on his shoulder. His motorcycle rumbled beside him, its headlights turning the sand red.

"Hey kid," Ares said, seemingly genuinely pleased to see me. "The idea was that you'd all die. But I guess that brat kid, managed to do something useful to get you three out."

I couldn't tell if it was his violent aura, or the fact that he had talked about Y/n like that. But I really wanted to punch him, more than that even.

"You tricked me," I said. "You stole the helm and the master bolt."

Ares grinned. "Well now, I didn't steal them personally. Gods taking each other's symbols of power-that's a big no-no. But you're not the only hero in the world who can run errands."

"Who did you use? Clarrisse? She was there at the winter solstice."

The idea seemed to amuse him. "Doesn't matter. The point is, kid your impeding the war effort. See you've got to die in the Underworld. Then Old Seaweed will be mad at Hades for killing you. Corpse Breath will have Zeus's master bolt, so Zeus'll be mad at him. And Hades is still looking for this . . ."

From his pocket he took out a ski cap-the kind bank robbers wear-and placed it between the handlebars of his bike. Immediately the cap transformed into an elaborate bronze war helmet.

"The helm of darkness," Grover gasped.

"Exactly," Ares said. "Now where was I? Oh yeah, Hades will be mad at both Zeus and Poseidon, because he doesn't know who took this. Pretty soon, we got a nice little three-way slugfest going."

"But they're family!" Annabeth protested.

Ares shrugged. "Best kind of war. Always the bloodiest. Nothing like watching your relatives fights I always say."

"You gave me the backpack in Denver," I said. The master bolt was in there the whole time."

"Yes and no," Ares said. "It's probably too complicated for your little mortal brain to follow, but the backpack is the master bolt's sheath, just morphed a bit. The bolt is connected to it, sort of like that sword you got kid. It always returns to your pocket right?"