Chapter 212: The Lives of Spectators

"...normally, it's times like these that we would ask Kiki questions, right?"

     Earl mulled over his wife's thought while looking down on the fight below. It was a group battle again. A small circuit had been put together for those who wanted to tag team, so while alternating individual fights that became increasingly exciting to watch, they could slowly whittle it down to the strongest group that would go head to head in the "finals."

     But despite all of the cheering and things going on around them, it was hard to enjoy and get into it. Especially after what was likely the greatest fight they'd see that day being blocked by two very insensitive spectators that stood in front of them the whole time, having the deepest conversation like no one else was watching, like nothing else mattered.

     "It would be times like these."

     But for some reason, Kiki disappeared. Maybe it was because she knew that her peaceful time sitting quietly in the back with Martin and Sarah would promptly be disturbed the moment that those two left to "fight." Questions were abundant, and there were certainly more than a few who would seek to ask them.

     "We were completely ignored, weren't we."

     "I think we should be grateful we were."

     With all of the "people" coming and going, it was hard to determine their strengths. It was hard to really breathe at all, since it was hard not to feel the constant walking power off to the right, out of the stadium, beyond the manor, at the front gate, that the littlest child would go to encounter to receive her "birthday letters."

     But the most frightening ones were those that appeared, so easily, right in front of them, without any presence, without a whiff of aura, anything to tell anything of what they were.

     Unearthly beautiful. Incomprehensibly strong. Older than most civilizations that existed that day.

     And they all came to wish their daughter a happy birthday.

     "Daddy, it's tight-"

     "Oh-"

     Earl looked down to the child he'd been holding tightly, having not realized that he was as tense as he was until she began to complain.

     "I'm sorry, Hera."

     She looked uncomfortable even when he loosened up, breathing in deep while gathering her up closer for a hug. It was awfully grounding, just being able to hold her like that. To put his hand on the back of her head and stroke it not just for her comfort, but for his as well.

     And for a while, all silent, they watched the group fight below. The effort of those fighting their hardest while knowing that, somewhere else, something far more exerting was going on without even an effort.

     "Shall I erase your memories?"

     "Oh, no, no no, it's fine," Anastasia shook her head while looking over to the strange being at her side that she forgot about. She was just so quiet. "We'll get over it, we always do..."

     "He is an unsettling character, I'm aware. But that is only because he was speaking with Firea - if she is not here, he is a much more rational and normal person."

     "Really."

     "Truly," Teria answered, looking straight forward to the other stands, it seemed. "It's only when they are in the other's presence that they become so childish and unlike themselves. It is only because you are here, and because he knows that she cares about your opinions more than anyone else, that he purposefully said misleading things to embarrass and goad her into a fight."