Interlude: A normal day

Start from the beginning

"Have you finished your work, Black Sheep ?" Professor Maelstrom asks as he looks at me, I quickly lower my head.

"Yes, Professor."

"Perfect." He seems pleased as we arrived in front of his classroom. He then turns around to face me. "This class will be for them to work on their bait and switch. I hope you remember what it's about ?"

"Yes, Professor."

"I'll be doing the demonstration, you'll just have to carry the bait and let me do it. You aren't allowed to make yourself interesting by not letting me do it. Is that understood, my child ?"

"I understand, Professor."

With a nod, the Professor enters the room. I stand back by his desk, ignoring the looks the students give me. They are still new and therefore don't know who I am. Unfortunately, I know very well that within a week, the confusion in their eyes will be replaced by hatred and smugness. Professor Maelstrom explains the basics of this process and how to do it well. I remember when I was in their shoes, unaware of the true colours of VILE and eager to earn my place among the big kids. At the time, Tigress was the one who helped the Professor and I will never forget the look on her face when she discovered the bugs in the suitcase. I am brought back to reality by Professor Maelstrom putting a suitcase in my hands. I walk to the far end of the room while the Professor does the same for the opposite side. I open the suitcase full of money and show it to the class before closing it. With a nod from the Professor, I start to walk towards him. As we pass each other, he drops our suitcases and I can clearly see which one contains the money. Resisting the instinct to take the one with money, I pick up the wrong one and continue on my way.

"And so the exchange is made." Professor Maelstrom concludes by opening his suitcase containing the money.

"What's in the other one, Professor?" I give the girl who asked the question an annoyed look, already knowing what the Professor will ask me to do.

"What if Black Sheep showed us..." He says with a smirk. I shudder, not wanting to open it. What if he changed its contents and that would hurt me. I seem to have hesitated too long because I get a slight electric shock and a dark look from the professor. I hold back a cry of pain and slowly open the case. Several dead insects fall on me and the students hide their laughter very badly.

"With that you pair up and take the cases to practice. I will test your progress at the end." He then turns to me and approaches. He snatches the suitcase from my hands and places it on the desk before whispering. "As for you little silly girl, go wait for me on your knees in my office since you obviously need a little lesson too."

Head down, I walk to the back door, open it and enter. I look around to try and anticipate what he's going to do to me but don't notice anything in particular. I kneel down in front of his desk and wait. The sound of the door closing behind me tells me that the Professor is there.

3rd Person POV

Maelstrom had been in his office for about ten minutes and the students were working on their techniques. They were all wondering who this girl was that the Professor called 'Black Sheep' and why she looked terrified. A knock at the front door of the room interrupts them. A student went to open the door and came face to face with Cleo. She looks around for Maelstrom but never finds him.

" Where's Gunnar ?" Several students point to the office door. "Aren't they watching you ?" A female student then dares to speak up.

"He demonstrated bait and switch with a girl he called 'Black Sheep' before he started us on an activity. He said he had to sort something out in his office and that we should only disturb him in case of an emergency."