6) So Many Career Fields, Oh, and A Vasectomy

Veronica should probably change her career field to politician. The way she got me up and running into that man's building, I've never met anyone more intimidating than her.

But she was right.

He had to at least know. I won't force him to be in the baby's life, that would be pointless. But it also wouldn't be fair for me to do this on my own, even if financially would be the only method of help I'd get.

I held my head high, in my scrub uniform and walked through the sea of people. I had no idea where I was going, I'd never been in this building, but I hoped that on the doors I'd see a sign.

There wasn't a receptionist desk, so that wasn't an option, and everyone who walked around seemed as if they were on a mission, not even bothering to look at me.

If that wasn't issue enough, there were so many floors in this building, it would take me at least an hour to got through all of them.

"Excuse me."

I turn around to come face to face with the same woman I nearly rammed into at the grocery story. Her eyebrows furrowed for a moment, before they relaxed.

"You're looking a little out of place."

She stared at my attire from head to toe, a small frown on her face.

"Can I help you with something?"

Her heels were shiny and sharp, placed neatly against each other. The entire outfit in fact, screamed precision, even her black lipstick seemed like the ones you'd see in magazines. Unsmugded and creaseless.

"Uh - hi," I extend my hand for her to take, but she merely smiles. Returning to my side, I wipe them on the sides of my trousers. "I'm looking for er - Mr. Carter."

She raises an eyebrow,  once again sizing me up.

"Is he expecting you?"

"He isn't."

"I see."

The woman looks around for a moment, before staring at the watch on her wrist.

"Mr. Carter is in a very important meeting right now, I'm sure you understand. But maybe you can leave a messa-"

"I can't leave a message," I gulp.

I've already tried. A thousand times.

"This is important."

The woman stares at me for what feels like an eternity, before sighing.

She presses a button on her ear, "there's a woman here in . . . Scrubs, claiming that she needs to speak to you. She says it's important."

She listens for a moment before nodding.

"Find yourself on the 15th floor, it's the last one. There's only one door on that floor, so you can't get lost. He's waiting on you."

I nod. Before I can even say thank you, she leaves.

I take a deep breath and turn towards the elevator. I politely smile at the people inside that stood around me, and by the 7th floor, they were all out.

I grip onto the railings, petrified because my stomach was doing somersaults.

Maybe I should've taken the stairs.

I close my eyes and lean my head on the back of the elevator, holding my nose. A few more floors had clicked before I finally arrived.

Floor 15.

I step out. My heart was hammering so hard I could hear it echoing in my ear. I clasp my fingers together, walking towards the door at the end of the hall.