𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘

"alright so here's what we're gonna do" nick clapped his hands together, flipping through his albums that sat in a milk crate next to his bed. "this album" he held up moving pictures by rush. "is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. and we're gonna listen to it start to finish" he grinned happily.

   the girl wasn't too into the idea, "nick, i like pop. i'm not too sure i'm gonna be into this" she sent him an unsure look. "trust me" he grabbed her shoulder, squeezing it firmly. the action sent kate's heart into a flurry. "alright" she sighed.

"remember neal pert? the guy i was telling you about downstairs?" nick asked her as he placed the vinyl on his record player. he had large speakers hooked up to the sound system, he truly took music seriously– in all aspects of it.

"yeah" she nodded, watching him as he got everything set up. "well he's the drummer of this band, he's insane. like– if there was a drumming god? it would totally be him" he laughed. "no one will ever be better than ringo starr in my opinion" she held a hand over her heart. truth was, that was the only drummer she knew by name. she wanted to sound like she knew what she was talking about. while in reality, she never really ventured outside of her music taste. it consisted of billy joel and ocassional blondie.

"that'll change today" he assured her, letting the needle fall onto the beginning of the album. "come down here with me" he patted the rug as he laid down on the floor. "the music sounds better down here, it's the perfect spot right in the middle of all the speakers" he smiled. she slipped off his bed, laying down next to him as her hair sprawled across the floor.

kate stole glances at the andopolis boy every once in awhile. he looked like he was in heaven, bobbing his body to the music and singing every word like his life depended on it. she wondered how much time he had spent listening to music lying on the floor like a mad man.

maybe it was the energy in the room, nick, or just the music itself– but kate found herself loving each song more than the last. she had never heard such intricate music before, it was an understatement to say she had been enjoying it. although, the forty minutes passed by in the blink of an eye.

   "that's it?" the girl sat up quickly, disappointment laced in her tone once the record was over. "there's plenty more where that came from. i've gotta show you some zeppelin next time!" he smiled. "so did you like it?" he asked, a bit nervous as to what her response would be. "are you kidding? i loved it! that was one of the greatest music experiences i've ever had!" she exclaimed, almost unable to believe the album could make her feel that way.

   "really?" he asked with an excited expression on his face. "i couldn't even believe what i was hearing at times. it's unreal that that could come out of regular instruments" she shook her head, thinking of one song in particular that she took a liking to. limelight. "i know! they're insanely talented, especially neal! i can only dream to be as good as him someday..." he trailed off into thought.

   "i'd love to hear you play sometime, nick" kate suggested the idea, his face lit up in happiness. "you would?" he laughed in disbelief. no one ever really wanted to hear him play, especially not a girl. maybe kim– but only because watching nick really meant watching daniel, considering they were in the band together.

   "of course" she smiled warmly. "hey, if you're not doing anything friday night– you can come over here. a bunch of guys are gonna come over and we're gonna jam out" he offered happily. she wanted nothing more than to accept his invite, but her plans were already booked.

   "i'd love to– but i have practice with my trainer. i've got a huge competition coming up soon" kate sent a sad smile, as much as she loved skating– she felt at times it often put a lock on her social life.

   "competition? when and where? i wanna go!" he asked curiously. he genuinely seemed interested in the event. "you'd really wanna go?" she let out a soft laugh. "oh yeah! figure skating is badass" he nodded. it gave her a good feeling knowing he felt that way, a lot of the time she got made fun of for her hobby. much like earlier in the day by ken miller.

   "i'll give you the details next week" she smiled bashfully, "but hey, speaking of skating. i should probably get going. i've gotta get ready for practice" she stood up, flattening out her skirt and blouse.

   "i'll walk you home" he followed suit, grabbing the jacket off his bed. "you don't have to do that, nick" she waved him off. "shut up. i'm walking you home" he teased, leading her downstairs and out through the empty house.

kate's house wasn't too far from nick's, so to each of their disappointment– the walk didn't last too long. but though the time together was short lived, effortless conversation flowed between them. it just felt easy talking to one another.

"this is your place?" his eyes widened once the two stopped in front of the large house. "yeah.. my parents are wealthy i guess you could say" she admitted bashfully. she didn't wanna get into the grittiness of her home life, but there was a part of her that wished he knew what it was really like in her family.

a beautiful and polished home on the outside didn't always mean it was peaches and cream on the inside. and boy was that the case for kate. her parents were extremely difficult to live with, and impossible to please. another reason skating posed as such an escape for the girl.

"i just wanna thank you for today, nick. you made my day. really" the girl looked up at him with stars in her eyes. he watched her with the same look. "you don't have to thank me, katie. i had fun with you" he returned a warm smile.

the two bid their goodbyes before katie headed up to her house. nick refused to move from his spot until he saw her inside the house, safe and sound. it was an act of chivalry his father always taught him.

after shutting her front door, katie simply leaned against it. she attempted to collect herself before having to face her parents, she was still in a dazed state due to the boy outside.

"mom, dad! i'm home!" she called out after enjoying her moment of silence. kate's mother entered the room swiftly, "kate, hurry up and get upstairs. we're leaving in fifteen minutes" she ordered the young girl. well hello to you too. kate thought, carrying herself upstairs and into her bedroom to get changed.

_____________________________________