Looking through the peephole I see Tyler and opened the door.

"Hey come on in."

"Thanks." He entered and looked around. "Nice room."

"Thanks. I guess. Uh can I get you anything to drink?"

"Water please. "

"Sure."

I got him a bottled water and myself a sweet tea. And made my way over to him on the couch. But making sure to leave enough space.

"What's up with the potato?"

"Huh?"

He pointed to my thumb. Yup. Call in a brain fart.

"Shit I forgot it was on." I said after taking it off and comparing my two thumbs together.  "Takes the swelling down."

"Really?"

"Yes really." I said finally looking at him. "Don't give me that look, it works ok. Don't believe me ask Jay. He's seen me do it so many times that I bet he does it too."

He shook his head. And took his eyes off of me for a while. You could feel the tension in the air between us. It was thick and I doubt a knife could cut through it.

"Tyler.  I want to apologize for my actions and for ghosting you."

"No. I'm not accepting that. "

"What why?" I need his forgiveness or this isn't going to work. He won't understand any of this.

Panic starts to rise and I can feel my heartbeat getting faster. But then he says something that makes me stop.

"I have to be the one to apologize.  You went through something and at the first sight of trust from your family I ghosted you.  And for that I'm sorry. " He said looking at me. "I'm sorry Rochelle. "

"Did... did..they...uh."

"Did they tell me what happened?"

I nodded. Not being able to get the words out clearly.

"Just that there was an accident. But nothing in detail. "

"Oh ok." I looked at my hands. Unable to find the words that I needed to say. Or didn't know how to say.

"Can you... uh.."

"It's hard. But I can show you. Matt made a file."

"I'd like that." He said gently moving his hand my way. Almost like he was afraid to touche in fear that I'd pull back.

I had the tv set and pushed play. I didn't know if I could watch this again. It was like an outer body experience.  And when it came to the part of the accident of me hitting that family's child, I left the room. 

I know none of this was my fault. That it wasn't me who caused it. But it was my car that crushed her.

I buried my head into the pillow and cried. 

I felt the bed dip and a gentle hand running along my back. "It wasn't your fault." He said continuing to rub my back.

He got up and I heard water running but it must be the sound of my own tears. Or at least that is what I thought till he sat back down.

He gently pulled me away from the pillow and wiped my face with a warm washcloth. And handed me a glass of water. "Small sips."

Doing what he said and calming down enough to talk I told him the next part.

"I I was"

"Take your time. Don't rush your words."

God who is this man. I swear he's nothing like the dream. But will he stay this way? Or will he run?