Chapter 22: Catching Up

Start from the beginning

While that happened, the creature in the pit continued consuming the endless amount of magic stones there. Grunts also dropped stones in from carts often to keep it full.

Back with Bell, he was outside on the streets of the city in the afternoon the next day. He and Ottar were eating kebabs while sitting on a bench as Bell vented his frustrations.

Ottar: I see. Those two do mean well, especially Alfia. Mia was mostly the same when I was your age.

Bell: What did you do about it?

Ottar: I snuck out. Of course, that came with consequences from time to time.

Bell shivered thinking about what they would do to him. Still, he was getting desperate about it.

Bell: I still want to go. Why can't they just let me?

Ottar: You're still a child. If it's that important, you could try talking to her.

Bell: Mmm...

He doubted she would be convinced. They heard a bell toll before Ottar stood up and threw his stick away.

Ottar: Well, it looks like time is up again.

Bell: Is it your job as Captain again?

Ottar: Mia gave it to me, so yes. Perhaps we could train next time we meet.

Bell: That would be nice.

Ottar: *Nods with a smile* Until then.

He waved and made his way back to his home before Bell also left the place. The boaz's words stuck to his mind as he formulated the only plan he could think of. The next day, he did his usual thing and helped around the house. Nothing changed for today except that he didn't bother going to the Dungeon. This repeated itself for a few more days. Alfia noticed on Day 1 and thought he was trying to buy her approval, but he didn't even bother to ask her. Any training he did was with her, Zald or anyone he could get time with.

Then one day...

Bell: Mom, I'm going to the Dungeon today.

Alfia: And why is that? You haven't gone for a while now.

Bell: Ais said Tiona and Tione want to try for Level 5. If Goliath is there, they were gonna try and level up from it.

Alfia: Is Riveria going with you?

Bell: Mhm. *Nods* What about the quest?

Alfia: Still no.

Bell: I can be quick!

Alfia: That isn't the problem.

Bell: ...then, what if I didn't go to the Dungeon after doing it?

Alfia: Hm?

That surprised her. The Dungeon was more or less a playground to Bell if it wasn't in the Deep Floors. He took his dream of being a hero seriously which is why he took every opportunity he could to go there. To actively avoid it for just one quest was surprising.

Alfia: You'd really do that for one quest?

Bell: Mm. It isn't a hard quest, but you just won't let me do it.

Alfia: I've been telling you to take someone with you. What's so wrong with that?

Bell just frowned and looked down.

Bell: Why can't I show I can do it alone? Why don't you believe in me?

Alfia gained a sad look as well. She simply brought the boy close and hugged him.