Chapter 22: Catching Up

Start from the beginning

Alise: What's on your mind?

Bell: Mom won't let me go to the Dungeon alone.

Alise: Bell, you know why. She's just worried about you.

Bell: But I'm stronger than before and it's only the Middle Floors.

Alise: *Puts a hand on his shoulder* Look, Alfia and the others almost lost you. So did we. We all spent a whole year thinking you were gone, so they don't want to try and make that happen anymore.

Bell: I can still handle myself.

Alise: *Smiling softly* We know. They're still you're family like us. Worrying about you is as natural as breathing. A boy your age wouldn't even be an adventurer. You're a true prodigy but you're also only about to be 10.

Bell let his legs sway and he sat and listened to her.

Alise: Just try and understand why they're doing this.

Bell: Mmm...

Alise: Now, we still have to eat, so we better get inside. But-

She quickly wrapped her arms around his head and threw him into her chest.

Alise: Hugs should turn that frown upside-down!

Bell: *Blushing* Ah! Hey, let me go!

She smothered him for a bit before be dragged the red rabbit back inside. Back in the Twilight Manor, Ais felt a slight disturbance, but brushed it aside as she had to finish Riveria's work.

Riveria: You better not let yourself slip young lady. I'm sure you'd be embarrased if Tiona or Tione caught up to you.

As much as she thought of them as friends, Ais still needed to keep herself sharper than Tiona.

Ais: (I won't let her take my bunny!)

Meanwhile...

Thanatos walked along the halls of the base and hummed to himself. After some time, he arrived at his destination which was a giant pit filled with magic stones and one giant creature in the middle of them.

Thanatos: So, how is the project looking?

Evilus Grunt A: W-We had it tested a few days ago. It's performance is much greater than the last assessment.

Thanatos: Well, I'm sure Ishtar would be pleased to hear that. To think it grew this much in only a few months. Even 2 or 3 more would make it stronger that the King. Also, any words from her? Our Lady said she had a message.

Evilus Grunt A: On your desk.

Thanatos: Good. Everything is going according to- WAAAH!! *slips*

*Thud*

Evilus Grunt B: Lord Thanatos!

Thanatos: I'm fine.... oww, who left their guts on the floor?

Evilus Grunt B: Just someone we had been dragging after the torture was finished.

Thanatos: Where is the Evil Janitor? Things like this are a safety hazard.

Evilus Grunt B: They left for vacation.

Thanatos: (We don't provide vacation time!) Where?!

...

Thanatos: Well, look at that. They did leave for vacation. *dumbfounded*

In his hands was a sheet that listed their name and their week long absence from their duties.

Thanatos: Oh well. Now then, where is Valletta or Osiris? We have much to discuss.