°19°

° ° ° ° ° °
TAMMY:
° ° ° ° ° °
We were having a combined class today and luckily, Mandel hadn't gone missing again. She was right there, sitting on the seat by my left and I was satisfied by that.

I was also worried. I wasn't sure what was wrong with Mandel and she didn't seem like she was going to open up to us anytime soon.

Looking at her sad heavy eyes boring holes into the the teacher's forehead, with her head placed on her desk, she looked miserable.

".. And page 32. Read the comprehensions on those pages of the past question book, I'll be asking questions in my next class." Then, the teacher picked up her books and walked out.

Almost immediately, Mandel stood up with her book and writing materials but I held her back by placing a hand on her wrist.

She turned around and stared at the hand holding her wrist, then, glared at me.

"Mandel, what's wr-"

Before I could complete my sentence, she pulled her hand out of my grip and pushed me back, making me to almost tumble over on the chair I sat on.

She turned around and walked away.

Amorette came up in front of me and patted me softly on my back.

"Mandel isn't always like this, is she?" I asked her.

She looked up and stared at the door for a moment, then brought her gaze back to me.

"No." She shook her head. "She's much worse."

"Bye." She smiled and walked away.

My brows furrowed watching Amorette walk out the door giddily. The fact that she never elaborated on the things she said about Mandel pissed me off.

How did she expect us to be friends when she couldn't even be completely honest.

I looked away from the door and turned my gaze to a window.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
There we were, Mandel, Amorette and I sitting in our usual spot at the cafeteria, just like it use to be.

But it still wasn't the same. Mandel remained silent and didn't even spare Amorette and I a glance. Amorette was too busy scrolling up and down her phone, scrutinizing the outfits of some girl. And me, I just sat there akwardly.

I put a spoonful of jollof rice into my mouth and averted my gaze to Amorette who had a disgusted look on her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked, after I was done with the spoonful of rice in my mouth.

She looked up from her phone.

"I don't know why people adore her so much. She got a new look and so what. It's terrible!" She said, shoving her phone in my face.

Squinting my eyes to see better, I gasped. "Quinn Walker?" I looked up to see Amorette roll her eyes. "There's nothing wrong with her new look. The boots, dress and blonde ponytail, they're all good."

She scowled and folded her arms, obviously not satisfied by my reply. "It's just because she's a celebrity, that's why she looks 'good' but if I were to dress like that, people would look at me scornfully cos of the way too short dress."

I shrugged. "What's your beef, anyway?"

She brought her phone and glared at the picture in it again. "My beef is that this girl is nothing different from me but yet she keeps getting all the attention. I hate her."

She gritted her teeth and clenched her phone.

"Umm, okay." I said, leaning back, raising my hands in surrender. "Take it easy on the hate, though."

I went back to eating my food and few minutes later, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned my head to Mandel as I knew she had tapped me.

She nudged her head forward and I followed the direction she had nudged her head to.

My brows narrowed and a frown marred my face. I dropped the spoon I held on the plate.

The person just looked back at me, resting the side of his head on the fist of his upright arm. Then, he waved.

"Hey."

"Ugh!" I found myself saying, standing up and walking away from our table.

Once I was out of the cafeteria, I sighed in relief. I began to walk towards my classroom in silence and when I got there, I sat down on a seat and sighed again.

"Otamayomi."

I didn't have to look up to recognize the deep calm voice and I groaned lowly.

"Don't worry. I'm not here to bother you." He said.

"Good." I told him, still not looking at him.

"Just want to make something clear." I heard him say, and that was briefly followed by footsteps.

Soon, he was squatting in front of me, staring intently with his lips in a thin line.

"You crying or getting into a panic attack isn't enough reason for me to despise you. I don't. Some people might judge you cos of it but you gotta know that not everyone's against you." He said and I just stared back at him, not uttering a word.

"I like you, you're chill... most of the time. Can we be friends?"

For a moment I didn't say anything. I brought my arms over my upper body, hugging it and I turned my head to the side.

"I have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, COPD. My attacks get triggered by dust, those kinda things, and my strong emotions. That's why I'm wierd. You wouldn't want to a friend that gets an attack when she's sad, angry or scared." I told him.

He didn't say anything and I sighed sadly.

Of course, he was thinking it over now.

"You didn't answer my question." He said. I averted my gaze to him and raised a brow in confusion.

"Can we be friends?"

Realization dawned on me.

He still wanted us to be friends, despite my wierd illness, despite my weakness and fear of music.

I like you, you're chill.. most of the time.

My lips slowly went up in a smile and I nodded.

"Yeah."

Something glistened in his eyes and he stood up, shoving his hands in his pocket and walking to the door.

Just as he had gotten to the door frame, he paused and turned his head to the side. "See you later, friend."

My smile grew wider at that.

But then, it dropped.

He'd ditch me when I get an attack again, for sure.

------------------------------------------------------
This has to be the shortest chapter I've written since I started this book.

A thousand and seventy eight words!!

Don't blame me, the spirit of laziness was at work.

I promise I'll update another tomorrow.

Y'all shouldn't forget Amorette's party that's gonna take place during the weekend. Just a couple more chapters then, more dramatic incidents would occur and things would be revealed...

Peace,
Benzita13 ❤️

𝚂𝚎𝚎 𝚃𝚑𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑 𝚂𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚜 #1: 𝐒𝐞𝐞 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara