chapter nine- breath, wind.

The colorful ambient lighting spun and blurred itself in my vision as I stared up at the ceiling, my head resting on the back of the couch. My body felt light on the outside, but so heavy on the inside, and all I wanted to do was sleep.

Fuck. I'm drunk.

"Hey..." I lifted my head gently and turned to face Josh. "I have a favor to ask."

He cocked his head to the side gently and raised the tips of his eyebrows. "Yeah?"

"I'm... really tired. And I'm drunk..." I trailed off. "Is there any... way... I could take a quick nap on your couch so I can sleep some of the alcohol off? Then I can find a way home."

The muscles on Josh's face relaxed; he smiled and shook his head. "Just stay the night."

My chest flipped quite rudely.

"You can take the bed." Josh added.

"Josh..."

"And it's Friday! So, we don't have to be anywhere tomorrow... Come on, I'll take you home in the morning."

I took a breath. "... Okay...I just-- if you can't sleep, I can take the couch."

He scoffed sarcastically. "Please, this thing? I'm about to pass out. Let me show you the bedroom."

Josh led me down the dimly lit hallway into a sizable room with a queen sized bed in the middle, and a big beanbag chair in the corner, facing the bed. He had a color scheme going: dark reds, olive greens, golds, white on the walls, the works. "Do you need a charger?"

Hm. I guess I don't have my charger.

"Yeah, actually. Thank you." I watched as he scampered over to his bedside table, and held up an Apple charger.

"This work?"

I nodded in response, and went to sit on the bed. "Do you mind if I kinda... pass out?"

He chuckled warmly, and his golden gaze gripped mine with a fervor. "Go ahead. Sleep well."

Josh left the room, flicking the light switch off as he exited, and then I was left in ambient dark, the scent of patchouli trailing out of the door.

With a soft, full breath through my nose, I tasted his spiced scent drifting in the air, and laid my head on the pillow.

three hours later.

I had fallen asleep as soon as I hit the pillow, but woke up with a ferocious jump to the sound of someone trying to be quiet. My heart thumping, I reached to put the lamp on.

Josh.

My heart didn't stop thumping.

"Josh, you scared the shit out of me!" I shook my head tiredly.

"I'm sorry!" He whispered. "I... couldn't sleep."

A waking pause, as my focus came back to me.

"Sleeping in the living room... makes me think of Scream." Josh spoke softly, like he didn't want to wake me up any more than he already had.

My eyes began to focus and land on the sight of Josh attempting to get settled on the big beanbag in the corner. "Josh... just come here, I'll sleep on the couch."

"No. No. You're my guest."

"I don't mind, Josh!" I sat up fully in the bed, my eyes drooping; I paused before continuing. "I actually like Scream."

"No, it's okay." He shook his head. "I just need to be in my room, I'll be able to sleep."

Another pause. This one filled with contemplative sighing.