According to the program Ms. Bouis managed to acquire, Lady Hargrave planned on hosting an auction before the actual ball. I needed to welcome everybody into the auction hall and sit there during the bidding.

"It would be nice to know this in advance," I muttered.

"Worry not," Ms. Bouis said. "I've taken care of all your dresses for tonight. We are ready. All you need to do is have fun."

Fun.

I didn't think there could be any fun tonight. Other than being with Alexander, there was no fun. Sure wearing beautiful dresses and shiny jewelry was great, but I didn't want to make it a habit.

By 5 pm, I was downtown at the auction house. Joseph drove me in a nice limousine. It was my first time being in one. The lights inside changed, and the seats were white and cozy.

Tonight, I wore a pale blue maxi dress with a halter strap top with matching earrings. My heels were short, so I could make it through the night. Luckily, the dress had pockets that fit my phone and wallet.

When I stepped out of the limousine, I was bombarded with flashing cameras and reports. There was no avoiding them tonight. Joseph had mentioned not being allowed to drop me off privately. It was the same for every guest. They had to walk through the front door; a requirement by Lady Hargrave.

I put on my best polite smile and walked to the front door. I did a little wave like I had been practicing and tried not to speed walk to the door. Clenching my teeth, I paused and did a little pose before walking again.

Once I reached the building, Diana pulled me into a private room. She was back to being my assistant for the night. The private room was massive. It could double as a bedroom.

"Let's touch up your make-up," she said. "It doesn't hurt."

I sat down in front of the vanity mirror and closed my eyes. "They already took my picture," I told her.

"That's in one dress," Diana replied. "You're going change into another one."

Once she finished, she helped me undress. The second dress was velvet. It had an off-the-shoulder top and was floor-length. She had to lace it up from the back. Diamonds replaced my current jewelry.

Diana removed my lipstick before applying red lipstick.

"Is that necessary?" I asked.

"Yes."

So, I sat there like a doll waiting.

Unfortunately, I had to wait there until I was called into the auction room. I wasn't allowed to leave the room "for my safety" according to the bodyguards. Diana and I stayed in the room, catching up. She also fussed over every little detail on my hair and dress.

As I waited, I sent messages to Alexander. He was late. Held up in some meeting. I didn't want to be with his mother alone but it wasn't anything he could control.

"Don't worry," Diana said. "You'll do great."

"I don't even know what I'm supposed to do," I said. "No one told me anything. I was told to show up. That's it."

"Take a breather. It's no use being upset."

I sighed. She was right. I had to accept I was powerless here.

Half an hour before the event started, I was called to the auction room.

The guards escorted me through the employee doors. Also, 'for my safety'. Whenever I tried asking them about Alexander, they would ignore me. I was too scared to use my phone. Knowing them, they might take it from me because it might 'disrupt' the auction.

When we finally reached the auction room, Lady Hargrave was there is a beautiful black mermaid dress. Around her were attendants and event staff.

"There you are, Rin," she said. "I thought you'd get here earlier. We're running late."

"Seems the guards weren't told about the time," I replied. "They wouldn't let me leave the room."

The smile froze on Lady Hargrave's lips. "We shouldn't blame others for our shortcomings, dear."

I forced a smile. "Well, if being locked up in a room and no one lets you out is a shortcoming then, I'll gladly accept it then."

I gestured to the event. "Let's get started then. Please lead the way. I'll follow your example."

By the time we walked out to the stage, the guests were already seated. I didn't recognize anyone. There was a podium at the front and at the back were three seats.

Lady Hargrave wasted no time putting on a show.

"Welcome esteemed guests," she said. "It's lovely to spend tonight with you all. This charity event wouldn't be possible without your support.

"All funds will go towards infrastructure supporting communities and provide better services for the residents as well as go towards medical research."

As she spoke, I glanced at the audience. They were so enamored with her despite the vague wording she was using. Could it be Allure? They all seem present enough though.

"Without further ado," Lady Hargrave was saying. "I present you Simon Cowell. They'll be our amazing auctioneer for tonight. If you have any problem, please find one of our bid assistants to help you."

Mr. Cowell walked out from the other side of the stage. He was short man with a charismatic smile. He and Lady Hargrave kissed on the cheek before he took his spot by the podium.

"Now, all of our items tonight are from my personal and small trove of wealth I've accumulated over the years," Lady Hargrave continued. "I want to give back to the community and I hope you can help make that happen. So, prepare your wallets and spend."

The audience chuckled.

Lady Hargrave turned to me. "Take a seat dear. We don't want anyone to think this is your first time."

Behind her, there were more chuckles. I grew hot in the dress. Taking a breath, I forced another smile and followed Lady Hargrave to the chairs.

The bidding started right off the part, art piece after art piece was rolled out by staff members. Each and every one of them was quickly sold for extremely high amounts. The first section of the auction focused on paintings and sculptors. Each one of them was worth enough to buy a skyscraper if not more than one.

"My son didn't make it," Lady Hargrave stated.

She clapped as another art piece was sold.

"Stuck in a meeting," I replied.

"To think my poor son has no support to be working so close to the holidays."

"He takes his responsibilities seriously," I said.

"I know that," she snapped. "A partner should always lend a hand. I don't see you doing much."

I clenched my teeth. "I'm still in school," I forced out. "His Highness wants me to enjoy -"

"Such a sad excuse," Lady Hargrave interrupted. "Even during my training, I helped His Majesty with his duties."

"I'll keep that in mind," I whispered.

I blinked quickly trying not to have my eyeliner smeared. Diana said nothing would smudge it, but I wasn't so sure. My eyes burned.

I had a difficult time staying focus on the audition. Every so often, Lady Hargrave would mention a potential suitor for Alexander. And end it with, "of course, he had you now so, don't worry about it."

I didn't know how much I could take when the last item, before the next set of items, rolled out. It was a brooch.

As soon as I saw it, my chin trembled.

It was my brooch.

The one I had made for her.