"No, he isn't but we were in the neighbourhood and were hoping that he could spare a few moments for us." Will keeps the easy grin plastered on his face, his every air relaxed and full of charm. The blush in Suze's cheeks rises and she sputters a few times, clearly flustered before inviting us to follow her towards one of the sitting rooms.

The roof opens up intermittently throughout the palatial estate, the warm afternoon sun alighting the richly-furnished rooms and the expensively-draped fabrics. Suze leads us to a spacious parlor, indicating that we should take a seat and offering us a drink while we wait.

We watch her leave, waiting until her rotund figure disappears around the corner before speaking.

"What do you think?" Will asks, careful to keep his voice low.

"His staff still refers to him as 'Lord', the people living here are clearly still enjoying a courtly lifestyle and this estate is kept more immaculate than the Palace." I drum my fingers thoughtfully against my chin, scanning the room, noting the plush, embroidered carpet laid out below our feet and the priceless artwork set against the whitewashed walls.

Will nods. "We should have checked on what was happening over here a long time ago." He runs a hand over the back of his neck, as if trying to relieve the tension there. "Clearly, Grayson is receiving funds from an outside source and has been for awhile."

"It's no wonder that he's kept everything quiet on the home front." I lean forward, checking that there is no one hovering near the doorway. "Obviously, he isn't going to admit that he had anything to do with what happened to Meg so we're going to need to find some proof of our own."

"This is certainly an impressive estate." Will remarks offhandedly, glancing around at the open ceiling and ornate pillars. "Perhaps we can request a tour."

"Perhaps we can."

Several minutes pass before Grayson finally deigns to grace us with his presence. He sweeps into the room, as finely dressed and carefully coiffed as ever, wearing an embroidered yellow vest that was clearly deliberately chosen as it straddles the fine line between modesty and luxury.

I feel the hair on my arms rise unconsciously at seeing him. The faux-smile, the curled caramel hair, the ever-present disdain behind cold eyes. I should have given his ridiculous head a harder smack that day in the library.

"Commander, it's good to see you." Grayson's voice is smooth as silk as Will stands to greet him and the two men exchange a handshake. He turns to me. "Kay." He says my name as though it were something unpleasant he had for breakfast.

"Grayson, always a pleasure." I say coolly, gripping his limp hand with mine, squeezing with more force than necessary and revelling in the way he flinches and draws back.

"So, to what do I owe this visit?" Grayson settles onto the overstuffed couch opposite, crossing his leg over the opposite knee and sitting back with his arms outstretched, appearing perfectly at home if it weren't for the way his foot jiggles up and down.

"I wish we were here under more pleasant tidings." Will sighs heavily and I marvel at his acting ability, not for the first time.

"Oh?"

"It seems that the Wastelanders we invited into the City with the intention of negotiating peace have chosen to fling our good will back in our faces." Will leans forward, locking his gaze with Grayson's. "One of them attacked and nearly killed Queen Megra."

Grayon's long fingers fly to his mouth in an impression of horror. I watch him carefully, studying his reaction, keeping my own face measured and impassive. For his part, Grayson appears genuinely shocked but I don't miss the way he shifts uncomfortably on the settee.