Five

When I woke up, I was in the hospital. Again. For the second time in 48 hours. I was really getting tired of this, actually.

I looked around, feeling groggy. Luckily, they’d kept my clothes on instead of putting me in an ugly hospital gown. Logan was sleeping in the chair next to me. It was midafternoon, why was he sleeping? Probably due to the lack of sleep from the night before. I was surprised to see that he was holding my hand. I shivered pleasantly and my heart warmed.

I was making it my personal duty to make him forget Chris’ stupid oath and date me. By the end of the month, I was sure I’d have him in my arms, tongue down my throat. And apparently, judging by his hand holding, my lady charm was starting to rub off on him.

I smiled and sighed happily. Logan, the love of my life. Had been since I was a little girl and I knew he always would be.

Logan jumped awake and looked around. “Oh shit, did I fall asleep?”

“Yeah, you looked so cute!”

At those words, Logan seemed to notice that he was still holding my hand. He pulled it away, much to my chagrin. Just as Chris walked in.

“Am I interrupting something?” he asked, eyes narrowing.

Logan looked panicked. I smiled at Chris. “I was palm reading for Logan. He asked me to see the future,” I added in a mystical voice.

Chris laughed and rolled his eyes. “Cass, you know you can’t palm read. Palm reading is bullshit.”

“That doesn’t mean I can’t try.”

Chris looked at me. “Are you feeling alright? Your arm hurt at all? I was talking to the doctor, he said he’d be right in.”

As if on cue, the door opened and in walked a short balding old man. He smiled at me and opened a folder. “Well, your injuries are not very extensive. You lost some blood, but not too much. You’ll just have to change the bandages regularly to prevent infection. No stitches, so you can shower. Your health insurance took care of everything, so if you just go to the desk, you can sign yourself out.”

“Thanks Doc,” I said. He left.

“So, you wanna tell us what happened in the car?” Logan prompted.

Damn. I was hoping this conversation would somehow be surpassed but it looked like I wasn’t going to get out of it. “Well, I was talking to Todd when I saw a shadow. I looked up and saw Rikuto? Was that his name? Well, that guy broke the window and the glass shattered all over, cutting me. Then he reached in, pulled me to him and said something about how he wasn’t his brother’s killer and that the police need to find who was. And he ran off.”

Chris and Logan looked at me like they didn’t believe me. “I’m telling the truth, guys!” I yelled at them.

I hopped out of bed and stormed out of the room, the boys watching me. As soon as I exited the room, I went back in, ignoring the boys who were now laughing. I grabbed the apple juice off the side table that the nurse had left me and stormed out again. Laughing, they followed me.

I went to the front desk and signed myself out. When we got out to the car, I popped open my apple juice and downed it in one gulp. Logan and Chris’s phones buzzed. They pulled them out and read.

“Coroner’s done examining the body. She wants us down there,” Chris said.

“How old is she?” I asked, curious.

“Twenty-eight, I think,” Chris said with a hint of affection. He got in the car and shut the door.

I looked at Logan. “Is she attractive?”