chapter 𝐨𝐧𝐞.

Start from the beginning

You swayed your hips to the song that the band was playing at the bar, cleaning out some pint glasses. Your best friend since you were a wee thing, Freddie, was visiting again tonight after you had told him the band Smile was playing again.

You glanced up, finding Roger Taylor, the band's drummer, already staring at you as he played the instrument, his movements fluid and suave. The second you locked gazes, a slow smirk made its way to his cherry lips as he winked at you. You rolled your eyes, looking away and continuing to chat with my colleague, Lucy.

"They're a cool band," a girl acknowledged. 

"Yeah, not bad," her friend agreed. 

Freddie walked down the steps, smiling slightly as he spotted you behind the bar, handing a beer off to some man. He quite enjoyed the sight of the radiant smile that seemed to effortlessly stitch its way onto your lips.

"Y/N." Your ears practically pricked up as you spun around, finding Freddie on the other side of the bar. You grinned, leaning in and pressing a kiss to his cheek as he reciprocated the action. 

"Hi, bubby," you smiled. "What can I get for you?"

"A pint of lager," he requested, and as the band finished their song, continuing on to another one, you made soft conversation over the club's patrons. 

The crowd cheered as Brian, the guitarist began a smooth riff. You watched Freddie as he began shaking his head to the beat, causing a chuckle to escape your lips before you made your way to other people waiting on a drink.

"Humpy Bong?" Brian repeated in disbelief. 

"Humpy Bong," Tim, their singer and bassist, nodded in confirmation. "They're going places. They're gonna be big."

"Humpy Bong? Are you joking?" Roger questioned.

"Don't do it, Tim," Brian said, shaking his head.

"No, I'm sorry guys, but we're not going anywhere with this. What? College gigs, pubs?" he sighed, picking up his guitar case and shrugging as walked backwards. "Gotta give it a go."

Back in the pub, Freddie made his way out through one of the back hallways where large groups and pairs littered the stretch. He glanced away when a man winked at him, instead finding his eyes fixating themselves on a girl. She was pale and had bright orange-brown hair with tethered bangs that just brushed over her blue eyes.

"But then everyone else was in like long dresses?" he heard her ask her friend. "But how bizarre." The woman had caught onto his gaze, a slow smile spreading across her painted lips as she watched him pass. As he gave her a once-over, her voice cut through, "You alright?"

He flinched slightly at the interruption, but responded nevertheless, "Sorry. Oh, I was just looking for the band."

"They're usually out back," she supplied. Freddie looked at her again, for he was far too entranced by her, and made his way to leave, but something made him turn back.

"I like your coat," he said.

"It's from Biba."

Freddie looked back at her, when suddenly her friend spoke, "She works there."