𝟑𝟑 | 𝐓𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐀𝐧𝐱𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬

Start from the beginning

Pulling my blade slowly from my holster, my eyes rest upon the reflection of the silver blade. The sharp end looks so smooth, yet it could cut deeper. Wondering if I took my own life, would people care?

My hand lifts with blade in hand, realising my life is controlled by my actions.

The sharp tip rests at my throat, eyes flutter closed trying to understand what peace was and if I could end this. Inching further to my skin, it pierces a thin line for a moment. Inhaling slowly, I breath out when my eyes flutter open being greeted with the sun brightening before me. The sun coaxes my face tenderly, kissing against my cheeks.

Realisation soon hits me.

My eyes rest half way, "That's right.....I've got to train the recruits..." I softly spoke to myself, a little hesitant, not wanting to leave this spot. With a deep sigh I lower myself and sat down, watching the sunrise slowly just wanting to clear my head a little longer. Taking a big deep breath in, I soon exhale easing my mind.

The blade in hand had a thin line of my warm blood, as I wipe my thumb along the blunt surface. Slipping it in my holster, my hand drifts to my neck tenderly, feeling the warmth of my blood against my fingertips.

There was no pain, only a lingering sting.

//

WITHIN THE BARRACKS

Walking within the barracks of the Scouts Castle, I heard the soldiers laughter and chattering echoes down the hallway. After an eventful day, all I wanted was to take a quick shower and finish up with my paperwork. With documents and forms needing to be reviewed, and signed, my mind was focused on completing those.

A pillow soon flies across from one of the dorms, before another puffed out feathers.

Heading in that direction my eyes turn to have a quick glimpse, only to see Jean and Connie fighting over the top bunks. Seriously ever since they came a week ago, they've been at this continuously. Pausing in my steps, I went over and leaned against the frame of the door, arms folded.

"Boys....!" I raise my voice, mainly speaking to the two quarreling kids.

The two pause in what they were doing, turning to me before they straighten up like stiff soldiers. I flick my hand with reassurance, "No need for that, seriously," I smirk softly, with an amused smile.

"Corporal, w-what can......?" Jean was about to ask, when Connie jumps on him covering his head with a pillow. "Argh get off dammit, the Corporal is right there!!!! Pay some damn respect!"

"You idiot, don't act so innocent," Connie scoffs, when I shot him a warn glance. He was taken back, slowly releasing Jean and drops the pillow. "S-Sorry."

I chuckle softly, "If this is about the top bunk, toss a coin?" I suggest, pulling out a loose quarter in hand. "Whoever lands on what, you will be on the top and the other on the bottom.....okay, fair as I can get?"

"But what if we both want the top?" Connie questions, while seeing Bertholdt and Reiner sat on the side being two bunk beds within the room.

Raising an eyebrow, I smirk.

"Then you should change beds every two days or three days?" I suggest, trying to compromise with this tiny dilema. "Seriously you're old enough to decide you two, and I apologise we have small bunk rooms......but this is an old building."

Jean finally goes for my suggestion, as I rest the coin on my index and thumb beneath. Soon I flick it high into the air, seeing the bronze coin spin before catching it and flipping it over.