Chapter Three: Of Abominations and Witches

Start from the beginning

"Like, winding towers, cute uniforms, dark plots that threaten your life kind of magic school?" Luz asked excitedly, obviously thinking of Hogwarts.

"And why is this the first time we're hearing about this?" Booker asked. "We could have been learning magic there!"

"Why would you want to learn magic in school? It's the worst!" Eda told the two kids. "They force you to learn magic the 'proper' way. But magic isn't proper. It's wild and unpredictable. And that's why it's so beautiful. I didn't finish school, and look at me! Who wouldn't envy where I am right now?" She said this, all while standing in front of a smelly pile of garbage and guts from the monster—flies buzzing all around her.

Luz looked at her teacher with a bit of a down look, while Booker looked at Eda with a deadpan expression. "Let me get this straight: You didn't like how school was teaching you about magic, so you dropped out. Now, you live life on the run and dig through the remains of a dead monster, just to find things to sell to make ends meet. What a wonderful life!" He said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Well...sure, it sounds bad when you say it like that..." Eda said. She looked around for anything that would prove she was a good teacher. "Uh... Hey, here's a lesson." Eda dropped the pickaxe and walked over to Booker and Luz. Grabbing both of their hands. "All great witches are resourceful, like this."

Eda then kneeled down and plugged both of the kids' hands into a hole filled with green slime. Booker cringed as Eda had them feel around to grab at anything that they could get. After their teacher lets go, they pulled out their hands.

Luz looked inside of her hand was less than impressed. "Oh, hey. Greasy slimeball."

"Use your slime ball wisely, young witch," Eda said, trying to sound wise while holding Luz's hands together.

Booker looked down at his hand and opened it. His frown deepened when he saw it was a rock. "I got a rock," he told the others, feeling like Charlie Brown.

Eda just shrugged and started walking back to the slug. "Back at it! We'll hit the stink nodes first," she said, grabbing her pickaxe.

When Eda turned her back to them, Booker was just about to throw the rock at the back of her head when Luz quickly grabbed his hand. "Actually, if it's okay, I think we'll head home and look at pictures of animals that are still alive," she said, pulling Booker back until he gave up and followed her. Before leaving, she went over to King, who was wearing a pair of plastic shade and started rubbing his belly. "Love you, King. You little beach peach."

Booker walked ahead of her and entered into the forest. Luz quickly caught up, and the two walked together to the Owl House. As the two friends walked together back to the house, Booker glared down at the ground. Temped to just throw the rock away as far as he could.

"You know, it's times like this that I wonder why we even put up with Eda," Booker said, glaring down at his rock, bitterly pocketing it in his lizard sweater.

"Booker, please calm down," Luz said before Booker stopped and threw up his hands.

"How!? We've been here for five days, Luz, and neither of us has even learned a single thing about magic!" He exclaimed, pacing around in frustration. "I mean, if magic's all about digging through some slimy monster's inside to grab a rock, then what's the point of even learning anything from her?"

"You can do it! You can!" A random girl's voice said from nearly by.

"Mysterious voice of encouragement?" Luz asked before going off into the forest.

"Wait, Luz! Ugh," Booker groaned in frustration before running after her. "Can't we just stay at the house for one fucking day? Why do we always have to get ourselves into trouble?"