12| rockland

Hey, I feel like I might say the wrong thingI hung up when I started callingYou probably would've laughed thenIf you had seen it happenHey, who took my place in bed when I left?Who laughs at everything that you've said?I'm sure that I would like h...

I hung up when I started calling
You probably would've laughed then
If you had seen it happen
Hey, who took my place in bed when I left?
Who laughs at everything that you've said?
I'm sure that I would like her
If I were slightly nicer
Bet you wish you
Never even met me
I don't blame you
Broke your every heartbeat
Hey, I parked across the street from your house
The lights were on the music got loud
I doubt you would've seen me
I hid from everybody
Hey, I feel like if we gave it one night
You'd hate me less and make it alright
Just wish that we could fight now
I'd hold you on the comedown
Bet you wish you
Never even met me
I don't blame you
Broke your every heartbeat
Bet you wish you
Never even met me
I can't blame you
Broke your every heartbeat
I see you every night in my sleep
Anticipating every bad dream
Like falling with a knife, you cut deep
You cut deep, you cut deep
I see you every night in my sleep
Anticipating every bad dream
Like falling with a knife, you cut deep
You cut deep
Ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah
Bet you wish you
Never even met me
I don't blame you
Broke your every heartbeat
Bet you wish you (I see you every night in my sleep)
Never even met me (anticipating every bad dream)
I can't blame you (like falling with a knife, you cut deep)
Broke your every heartbeat (you cut deep, you cut deep)
I see you every night in my sleep
Anticipating every bad dream
Like falling with a knife, you cut deep
You cut deep

one year and six months after

if you ask anyone, they would say that time heals all wounds. brooke found this statement to be ridiculous, for time was only making things harder for her. it'd been a year and a half without matt, and each and every day was harder.

matt on the other hand, was moving on. he was in a new relationship, forgetting about the girl who left him all those days ago.

brooke didn't know how he could move on and forget everything they shared. the mere idea of finding someone new, someone who wasn't matt, made her sick to her stomach.

nick told the girl that matt wasn't nearly as happy as he was with her, for nobody could replace brooke, but that only made her more upset. she wanted matt to be happy, even if it wasn't with her.

instinctively, brooke dialed the all too familiar phone number. out of fear, she immediately hung up as soon as it started ringing. what would she say if he were to answer? what if rylee was with him? what if he didn't want to talk to her?

a simple phone call was anything but simple.

if matt were there and they were on good terms, brooke knew matt would have laughed at her for being so nervous. he always laughed at her when she was being awkward, brooke thought it was him making fun of her, but he found her awkwardness cute. how her face would turn red, how she'd play with her fingers. he loved her for her quirks.

brooke had looked at rylee's instagram a couple weeks ago, hoping to find some reason to hate her, but she couldn't. she was pretty, had a fun personality, and seemed to fit in with the triplets just as well as brooke did. as much as she wanted to like her, like her for matt, she couldn't. maybe if she was nicer, she could.

the girl often found herself wondering if matt wished he'd never met her, but brooke wouldn't blame him if he did. she left him, and not even because their relationship had run its course. there was still so much love between them when brooke ended things.

all she wanted to do was fly to boston. she'd make things right with matt, perhaps make him hate her less. but she knew she couldn't, so for now, she had to see him in her dreams.

what brooke didn't know is that matt could never hate her, no matter how much he may want to. he constantly found himself wishing he'd gone to los angeles with her in the first place, or even agreed to try long distance. instead, he found himself sharing his bed at night with a girl he liked, but knew he could never love. he knew it was wrong, for rylee was a nice girl, but she could never compete.

when he saw brooke at nate's, all he wanted to do was talk to her. but he ignored her almost the whole night, and just as he decided to get over himself, rylee came and ruined it. matt couldn't forget the look on brooke's face when rylee came over, for he could see right through it. she smiled, pretending to be happy as she introduced herself. if only rylee had come a few moments later, he would have heard the words he'd been dying to hear for months.

most importantly, brooke didn't know that matt ended things with rylee soon after.