Lower than Lowe CH3

Magsimula sa umpisa

“Yeah, I mean…It took a while to believe that it was really happening, but all I want to do now is leave. I don’t deserve that.” I grumbled, shoving half of the cupcake in my mouth.

“No, you don’t. Ugh, Bryson is such a pig. I can’t believe he is doing this to you.” Nora said, disgust etched into her soft face.

“I can.” Jen snorted.

“Jen!” Nora scolded, giving her a look.

“Well it’s true. I always knew he was an ass. I never said anything before though…but I’ve always kinda thought he’s just with you because you’re hot and it looks good for his business.” Jen shrugged.

“Leave it to Jen to be brutally honest…” Nora frowned.

“It’s true! Look at Meredith. She’s successful and drop dead gorgeous. What business man wouldn’t marry that?” Jen said incredulously.

Both girls looked at me as I stared at them wide-eyed.

**

**

**

What they were saying was true. Meredith had always been beautiful, almost too beautiful for her own good. She was never taken seriously enough because people automatically assumed that she got by in life with her looks, and men always wanted her as arm candy to show off.

When the girls were younger, Jen and Nora were always jealous of Meredith’s light blonde hair that hung in a thick, straight mass just past her breasts, which always happened to be glossy and frizz-free no matter what the weather was.

Her luminous porcelain skin had never had an imperfection, the pale skin stretching over the sharp planes of her face were as smooth as butter.

She had inherited her icy grey-blue eyes and thick black lashes from her father, but her high cheekbones,  bee-stung lips, and rosy cheeks from her mother.

She had always been thin and tall, five foot seven and never larger than a size three, no matter how much junk food she ate.

**

“Well, thanks. I swear he did love me at one point though.” I smirked, raising my perfectly arched eyebrows.

“Well, yeah obviously he did!” Nora exclaimed lightly.

“Just not enough. I was always wary of Bryson being the big shot CEO, having all of those women working for him. You know one of them came to me yesterday, and didn’t even know that Bryson had a wife? It’s disgusting. I can barely sleep next to him at night.” I scowled, resting my chin on my hands.

The girls had never seen Meredith look so beaten and slouched over. She took ballet for twenty years, and taught ballet classes to get herself through university, so was the queen of good posture.

“Yeah, I understand that.” Jen scowled, referring to her college boyfriend that had cheated on her.

“Boys are pigs.” Nora said.

“Agreed. Well I have one more appointment then I’m going to head home.” I announced.

“Kay. Do you guys want to have dinner at my place tomorrow night?” Nora asked.

“Sure, sounds good.” I smiled, finishing the rest of the cupcake.

**

I finished chopping the carrots, throwing them in the pot of stew.

“Hey, honey.” I heard Bryson call as the front door open.

“Hey.” I responded, stirring the stew with an oversized wooden spoon.