Lower than Lowe CH3

Chapter 3: Confessions from the Wife

“So, is there something in particular that you had wanted to discuss?” Jen asked, taking a sip of her detox tea.

I snapped into reality after being momentarily distracted by the memory of this morning.

The confused look on Bryson’s face when he had come downstairs and found me asleep on the chaise lounge, and the fit he threw when he felt insulted that his own wife didn’t want to fall asleep beside him.

The whole ordeal had been terribly confusing for me.

My cheating husband was upset with me for not sleeping beside him? How does that add up?

I folded my hands on my desk, my eyes darting between Jen and Nora.

“Nora, why are you nervous?” I asked.

Nora was like an open book, her moods displayed plainly on her face along with the quirks that followed her emotions.

When she was nervous, she ate. A lot.

And now, staring at me with wide eyes and scarfing down her fourth red velvet cupcake, it was obvious that something was eating away at her.

“Uh, no, go ahead.” Nora choked out, nearly forgetting to swallow.

Jen gave her a ‘pull yourself together’ look before turning back to me.

So, Meredith, what did you want to talk about?” She asked.

I took a deep breath, preparing myself for the flood of questions and gasps of horror.

“Bryson is cheating on me.”

I didn’t get the reaction that I had expected.

Nora stopped stuffing her face, looking over at Jen with wide eyes.

Jen remained calm, as usual, staring at me with a poker face.

After a few long seconds, I cleared my throat. “So…are you guys just in shock or…”

“No! I mean, well yes, obviously. But—“

“We knew that Bryson was cheating on you.” Jen admitted, interrupting Nora.

“Oh. You…what?” I stuttered, feeling my face redden with anger.

“Well…We kinda saw him making out with some girl in his Beemer a few weeks ago...we just, we didn’t know how to tell you, and we kinda thought that you already knew, and—“ Nora stuttered.

“Whoa, ok. It’s fine. It doesn’t matter now. And yes, I have suspected things for a while…” I said, rubbing my hands over my face.

“So, do you know who the woman is?” Jen asked solemnly.

“No. I just call her Mistress. I think her name starts with a B though, that’s who Bryson had been texting and calling.” I sighed, twisting her wedding rings around on her finger.

It felt as if they were hot coals wrapped around my finger, securing me to a sad excuse for a man. I wanted to take them off so badly, but didn’t want Bryson to suspect that I knew of his infidelity.

“So…what are you gonna do?” I asked, eyeing the last cupcake.

“I’m not sure yet. Now that I’ve come to terms with it, I think I’m going to get all of my things in order financially, get a divorce lawyer set up, and just leave him unexpectedly. He won’t know what hit him, and he won’t have a chance to fight back.”

“That’s a really good idea, Meredith. You’ve really thought this through.” Jen said approvingly, snatching the last cupcake and shoving it towards me before Nora could scarf it down.