Alana Hightower

CHAPTER ONE

Living in a castle is the dream of most. The landscape, the maidens who do all you could ever ask of them. As a young girl it is something anyone could ask for. Never having to make your own bed, change your own linens, cook your own meals. Nothing. Just show up on time to have your gowns fitted, hair brushed, and enjoy meals as one big happy family.

My sister Alicent and I have lived here in King's Landing for years now. She's a year older than I am and much fairer than I. She catches the attention of all the knights whilst I stay hidden behind her and Rhaenyra, the Princess of Westeros.

Our father, Otto Hightower is the King's Hand. Viserys the Peaceful is what they call our King, which is not far fetched at all. He is very peaceful and has given us a warm welcome. His daughter Rhaenyra has become my sister's best friend, Alicent calls her the sister that she never got, but always wanted.

Most in Westeros and all the rest of the world had only heard tales of dragons but I was lucky enough to see them up close. Rhaenrya always begged for Alicent and I to ride with her but as badly as I wanted too, Alicent would quickly tattle to our father about it. So for now, my feet stayed firmly on the ground.

Today is the tournament to welcome the newest babe of the Targaryen family, as Queen Aemma has reached her time to deliver. Alicent and I sat aside Rhaenerya. A space left between us and there sat Laena Valaryon and her brother Laenor, the children of Princess Rhaenys and Lord Corlys Valaryon, who sat behind their children.

Behind us was Father and the King and behind them were a few other Lord and Lady's. The crowd was loud and roaring as the mele started. I noticed a knight down below. He was Dornish, his hair and eyes dark. His smile as bright as the summer sun during midday. He knocked each oponent off their horses. Even the best of the best.

"Who is that?" I asked Rhaenyra, who was lost in thought. Worried about her mother who's labors had just started.

"Ser Criston Cole." Alicent scoffed. "Goodness Alana, do you not pay attention?"

"I didn't hear." I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

"You fancy him, don't you?" Rhaenyra whispered to me.

I nodded. "He's pleasant to look at."

Rhaenyra called over Ser Harrold, the Lord Commander of the King's Guard.

He was a tall man, bald and brawny. His whiskers were grey, assuming if he had any hair, it would also be grey. He kneeled to our level as we were sitting down. He smiled to all of us.

"Ser Harrold," Rhaenrya asked. "What do you know about Ser Criston Cole?"

"He is a common born son of the Lord Dondarrion's steward and just unhorsed those two Baratheon lads. That's all I know of him." He replied.

I smiled and nodded. Rhaenrya and Alicent began to talk between themselves. Daemon went against my brother, Gwayne. Alicent began to chew her fingers while I could hardly look. Daemon was a talented Prince, he knew his way around a sword and a horse. And from what I'd heard he also knew his way around a woman's body.

Gwayne unhorsed Daemon but then was unhorsed on the second round. His face cut and rough when he stood up but he still did it. Daemon then asked Alicent for her favor, she slide the ring of flowers to him and grinned.

She and Rhaenyra sat back down beside me. I kept my head down and didn't say a word.

"If only Criston Cole would ask Alana for her favor." Alicent mocked with a smirk across her face. "No knight would ever ask for your favor though."