The Snatchers

This is a story that has been sitting in my hard drive for a while, screaming to be let out.  It's still a work in progress but please let me know what you think.  :)  I have dedicated it to PRINCESSHARLEY because she is one of my favourite writers on Wattpad and I really love her story: The Cellar

Prologue

Grace, Robyn, Jack and Oscar sat, huddled close to each other in the cold, damp alley.  The bitter cold attacked every inch of open flesh, the wind like thousands of tiny daggers, ripping into their skin.  The little that was left of their clothes flapped in the wind and hung limply to their near skeletal bodies between the icy cold gusts.  Two months ago, these children lived perfectly normal twenty-first century lives, but in the space of six weeks, their entire world had been turned upside down, because six weeks ago was when the Snatchers came.

They arrived completely out of the blue and pitched up in the old carpet store that had closed down years ago.  At first, there were no disappearances, but then, after a month or so, kids started to vanish; just insignificant teenagers with little or no family and no one to appreciate them.  Then, the Snatchers got adventurous.  Adults started to disappear without a trace and when investigations began, officers were taken.  Soon, almost the whole of Stone Cross had been wiped out.  The majority had not been snatched, just scared into packing up and leaving.  Only a few stayed behind, most not out of choice.  Grace, Robyn, Jack and Oscar had all gone to the same school, Kingswall High, and they all lived in the same area.  Their parents had been taken by the Snatchers and they had nowhere else to go, so they stayed.

The building the Snatchers used, to the naked eye, looked worthless and empty, but if you had the guts to go up close, really close, you could see minor adjustments had been made to the place.  Heavy metal doors were bolted in place where there were once sleek, glass sliding ones.  The floor length windows had been replaced with small panes of frosted glass about the size of an A4 piece of paper, protected by iron bars firmly fixed to the wall and the cheap, tacky posters formerly used to advertise products, even after the store was shut down, had been stripped away to reveal plain, grey concrete.

There were around a dozen Snatchers living inside that building.  Nobody really knew much about them, other than the fact that they were to be avoided at all costs.  Sinister rumours swam around the village, each one more unlikely and elaborate than the last.  Of course, they were only rumours, nothing more.  Or at least, that was what they all thought...