Chapter 5

"Thanks for letting me tag along," Dani said to Steve from the backseat of his BMW. "I really appreciate the ride to school. I hate the bus. I need to get a car."

"No problem," Steve responded, "but I thought Eddie usually gave you a ride?"

"Yeah, he does, but he couldn't today," she said softly, looking out the window to escape Steve's eyes that were watching her in the rearview mirror.

Eddie had been really weird after that moment in the pool two days ago. If Dani had any doubts about him being mortified if she shared her feelings, she had all the proof she needed now. He had kept his distance in the pool for the rest of the afternoon. Then he'd taken off with Dustin and Mike real quick without saying a word to her, leaving Dani to have to ask Gareth to drive her home. Yesterday, she was almost late to school because she had waited for him and he'd never shown up. She'd taken the bus but then begged Robin to ask Steve to drive her today because the bus was unbearable, all those screaming and annoying kids.

She hadn't seen him at lunch. Mondays she sat with Robin, but she'd scanned the whole cafeteria, no sign of him. She kept glancing at his seat at the head of the Hellfire table but he never showed up. After school, she'd walked into the parking lot but his van wasn't anywhere to be found. She thought maybe he hadn't come to school but Robin told her he'd been in Math class that afternoon. So, that meant he'd taken off after school to avoid her.

She had walked home. It was a twenty minute walk but it wasn't bad when the weather was decent. She tried to call him last night before remembering it was Hellfire night and he wouldn't be home. Dani sat, watching the clock, hoping he would show up after his campaign, but he didn't. Well, she had her answer. He was clearly completely disgusted and horrified about something that didn't even happen. He definitely wasn't feeling the same things she was.

"Do you need a ride after school?" Steve offered as they pulled up. He draped his arm across Robin's seat and glanced back at her.

"Oh, no you don't have to," she replied, shaking her head. "It's supposed to be pretty nice out today so I don't mind walking."

"It's really no problem," he said. "Robin has band practice but I don't work today so I can come get you."

Robin glanced back at her, widening her eyes, tilting her head toward Steve and pointing it at him a few times. She was clearly sending a signal to Dani that she had talked with Steve and this was an opening. Dani felt a little nauseous, but you know what? Fuck it. Why not?

"Okay, yeah, that would be great," she smiled. "Thanks."

"Perfect, I'll pick you up here and maybe we can go get an ice cream or something," he said, attempting to sound casual as he shrugged.

"Oh," Dani breathed, surprised. He was going straight for a possible date. Or was he? Was ice cream a date or was he just wanting to hang out as friends? Jesus, she was really bad at this.

"Or not," Steve said quickly, his hands gesturing nervously. "I mean, I can also just drop you at home. Sorry. Was that weird? I'm a bit out of practice."

"You know what, I am going to head into school," Robin said, grabbing her backpack and sliding out of the car. "Lots of stuff to do, gotta get into my locker, I can never seem to remember the combination. I should really give myself plenty of time. See you guys later."

She hurried off and Dani watched her go, her nerves getting the better of her. She flexed her hands, feeling how clammy they were. She tucked them under her thighs, trying to get them to stop shaking.

"I'm sorry...you're out of practice at what?" she asked, struggling to make eye contact with Steve.

"I'm out of practice at asking beautiful girls out on dates," he admitted, looking down and then glancing up at her with the sweetest little self deprecating smile. "I used to be. King Steve and all that shit, but ever since Nancy, I've been swinging and missing every damn time."