Black Sheep, Black Sheep

I spent Christmas and New Years barely making enough on the street to buy warm food or an extra blanket. I prayed every night that I would make it until the morning. I prayed that everyone I knew and even those I didn't would make it to their destinations. I was sober and actually enjoying being homeless because for the first time I had actual freedom. I didn't have someone tormenting me everyday and making life a living hell. I could breathe.

I know that's strange to see, someone actually enjoyed and found comfort in being homeless on the street, but it's true. Everything was new to me and I was learning so much more than I did wasting years in those classrooms.

I often thought about my daughter and would feel the pain but not as bad as before. I'd decided to live my life for her since she'd been harshly taken from me.

I also thought about the couple that had tortured me and I decided to forgive them. I've never seen any use with holding a grudge because that anger eventually consumes everything that you used to be.

I thought about how I ended up on the street and regret washed over like a tidal wave. I was the reason I was out here in the first place and there was nobody else to blame.

When I thought I'd found peace in all the violence of reality, another poor decision came walking in with a seemingly friendly face.