Epilogue

Two days later

A soft knock on my door made me open my eyes, if only slightly.

"Hey, it's me," Dustin called in a low voice. He didn't come in. "I'm heading to the Wheelers' and then to school, now. If you wanna come down, you know where to find me," his voice was muffled by the door.

I could picture him pressing his forehead to the door, his eyes closed, inhaling deeply. He knew I wouldn't be coming. Nor would I be answering at all.

I sighed and turned to the other side, facing the wall. Only a couple of sun rays filtered through my closed blinds, swirling around the darkness that reigned in my room. I had been lying in my bed ever since I got home. My clothes, my body, everything about me was dirty. Dry blood still stained my hands, the last reminder of Eddie on my skin. My fingers had curled in a tight fist, holding his pick tightly. I hadn't removed it from my hand either.

Dirty tissues rested on every piece of furniture around me. My eyes were bloodshot, rogue tears occasionally falling from my eyes despite having cried nonstop for forty-eight hours. I hadn't been able to sleep, eat, or leave my bed ever since we got back. Dustin and I had cried our hearts out for the longest time, holding Eddie's body as the warmth finally left. He had practically ripped me off of Eddie, knowing we couldn't carry him back with Dustin's broken ankle.

The sight of him laying there, cold and alone, still haunted me every time I closed my eyes. I hadn't even been able to sleep without nightmares plaguing my mind, waking up immediately in a cold sweat and loud sobs. Dustin hadn't been better, either. Our mom had oftentimes come running into our rooms, rushing to our beds, and calming us down as we sobbed uncontrollably. Even Dustin had done the same with me.

We had come back with broken hearts to a broken Hawkins.

"Okay, well, I'm leaving now," Dustin said with a defeated tone.

"You shouldn't walk," I managed to call after him, still from my position in my bed.

I heard him stop right outside my walk, and slowly turn the doorknob to the side, opening it slightly and sticking his head inside. "Your ankle's still healing," I said.

My voice was weak, hoarse from crying, and husky from barely breathing. My eyes met him despite the darkness.

"Mom's taking me, I'll be fine," that was all he said before closing the door again.

I heard his retreating steps into the living room, the sound of the front door closing, and the car driving off.

I took a big breath when they left, enjoying the few seconds of relief at the silent house before my thoughts were led astray to the absolute horrors I had been fighting against. The lack of noise contrasted with the outside, the city in shambles after what the authorities called 'an earthquake.' But we knew better.

Turning around one more time on my bed, I looked at my mirror, one of the sunbeams falling perfectly on the little corner where the polaroids had been collecting dust these past days. Eddie's smiling face shone in the dark, the light casting a glow on his picture. It killed me to know I wouldn't be seeing him again.

Another tear fell, but after two days I finally stood up, not ready to face the chaos that our Hawkins had turned into, but doing it anyway.

···

I parked the car just outside the school gates, taking a big breath before stepping out. After showering and eating I did feel better, but the sight of broken families lying in cots at the gym was enough to send another wave of guilt down my chest.