o. chapter seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

Maegelle evaded her uncle's stare during breakfast

Maegelle evaded her uncle's stare during breakfast. Memories of last night flooded her mind, she remembers the way she thought of him while pleasuring herself. It was wrong to think of a family member in that manner, even when his deep purple eyes have bewitched her soul, even when he lives in her mind without charge. "Were you able to sleep last night?" her uncle inquired with a soft frown, observing that her attention was not on the food.

"I was, but with difficulty." She did not lie. Daemon only hummed in response, his attention turned towards other things.

"I've given you enough time to decide your future," her father started the conversation. The mood quickly dimmed, the atmosphere was awkward. "- you spent a lot of time with Lord Tyland yesterday. Will he be a decent match?" Viserys inquired, Maegelle stifled her chuckle. "Lord Lannister spent our whole conversation combing his hair and staring at a mirror, he has not once gazed and met my eye." Maegelle spat.

"- and marrying a lord with his own land would not be wise. I'm already torn between my duty here and my duty to Winterfell." she reasoned. She couldn't stand why Viserys was making the affair such a big deal. She wanted to lunge at him, and scold him for his insensitivity. It's only been a year since Brandon died, he only wanted to pawn her off to the next most powerful lord.

King Viserys nods his head, pretending to understand, but he doesn't.

"A second son, perhaps?" Daemon chimed in, taking a sip of his wine. Her hands focus on the tablecloth again, thankful that her sons were not here to witness the conversation. "Or a third or a fourth. Someone without duty." she answered.

"Ser Otto Hightower is a second son. He could maintain your duties in Kingslanding." Viserys suggests. A loud laugh escapes Daemon's mouth. "I apologize brother," he interrupted, wiping the false tears from his eyes. "Your daughter is the most powerful woman in the Seven Kingdoms, and you would marry her to a tool?" he jested, earning a small giggle from Rhaenyra. Viserys' face turned sour, he exchanged a stare with his oldest daughter, deep in her eyes he could see that she shared Daemon's sentiments.

"Maegelle has already turned half the realm away." the King argued, hopeless. "- I fear that you have offended the realm with your disregard for marriage." he scolded.

"I am offended too, father, let's not forget. I was married to Lord Stark for a decade. He has been loyal and patient. I hardly think that it is appropriate to shun our marriage with useless gain. I already have heirs, Jaehaerys and Cregan." It was the first time that anyone in the family had seen her lose her composure.

Her voice that was once melodious and soft, had anger behind it.

"Marriage shouldn't be rushed, and I intend to take my sweet time." she adds, rising to her feet and excusing herself from the feast.

She was in her father's solars again. The little back and forth during breakfast did nothing to stop the lords that sought to have her hand in marriage. "I want them to disappear, all of them." she whispered to herself, laying on the floor and reading a book. "Maegelle," Daemon enters the small room, her head peeks through the small fap on the curtains. "Daemon," her usual reply.

He took his boots off, laying them on the top of the stairs. His foot gently landed on the carpet. He sees how she's tortured herself at the thought of marriage. He's seen the pressure that the women of his family had over finding the proper match. "Marriage is stupid anyways." he antagonizes.

Maegelle responds with a bitter laugh.

"You know nothing about marriage, my prince." she smirked, watching as his figure settled down beside her. "- when done with someone who respects you, becomes beautiful." she explained, she will forever long for the days in Winterfell.

His lips turned into a thin line. Marriage has always been a duty to him.

"Still an idealistic little girl." he joked, handing her a small orange. He flew to Highgarden just to give it to her. She takes it from his hand, muttering a soft thanks before peelings its edges. "The King's suggestions are not born of nothing. Surely, this is Ser Otto's doing." he suggested.

Her eyes widened. 'Does he know about Alicent? No. As much as he humors me, he's not the one to scheme.' For a moment she pondered about telling him about Viserys and Alicent, but she bites that thought down. The lesser people that know. The better.

"You need to be engaged, he needs to be stopped." he dallied around the topic. She raises an eyebrow. Her hands reach for the basket, throwing the orange peels. "Engaged to whom?" she inquired, not understanding his point.

His eyes narrowed, finding her cluelessness adorable. "Maegelle," he mumbled underneath his breath. "Daemon," she replied again.

"Engage yourself to me," he proposed with a smug grin.

She rolls her eyes, 'typical Daemon, always grasping at the straws for power.'

"I am your biggest competition, and you know me well enough to understand that I'd never contest you if I become your spouse," he explained. She takes a deep breath sucking on the orange in her mouth. The proposal made sense.

She frowns quickly. 'He wants something in exchange, surely.'

"What's the catch?" she questioned. His smug smirk began to turn into a grin.

"I want a kiss." he whispered. Her eyes widened.

"A kiss?" she repeated and he nodded.

"A simple kiss." he placed it in simpler terms. "Why?" she inquired.

"I've always imagined the taste of your lips." he answered darkly, his voice sending waves of lust that blossomed in her tummy. She mentally cursed. But she can't deny her feelings, she's been thinking about this for a while too.

She wipes her orange filled hands on a towel. She releases a deep exhale.

"If you merely want my kiss, then why go through all these lengths just to have it? Why be married to me when the children born from our marriage shall never rule the Iron Throne?" she questioned, still skeptical.

Brandon taught her to never trust deals that benefited her.

"Opposite to the lies spread around in court, I do not want my brother's throne." he chuckled, the chemistry between them palpable. She pauses for a second. The threads of truth weaving throughout her mind. "You want his love." she breathed.

And all those years suddenly made sense.

Daemon has always yearned for Viserys' attention, ever since their parents died Daemon saw Viserys as his second father. She felt bad for seeing him as nothing more than a charlatan, a viper that also schemed to take her throne. The reality dawned on her, Daemon was an ally, and he was the only person that loved her enough to protect her. "- that's not what I mean." he lied, but she's already seen through him.

"I find you to be a remarkable creature, princess, and you interest me enough that I wish to learn you." he explains.

She silences him with a kiss.

There was fire in the way their tongues danced with each other. Daemon's hand began to creep down her neck, eliciting a gasp from her, allowing his tongue to enter her mouth. This was the life of a dragon, filled with thrill – ignoring the schemes.

A gasp emerges a few feet away from them. It was Ser Harold!

Before any of them could stand up, the knight was already sprinting towards the exit. "Did you plan for this?" Maegelle rolled her eyes. "Of course not."