020. Sneak Glances

Start from the beginning

"Is your husband coming along?" Persephone asked her sister as they both descended down the stairs.

"No." Athena answered, walking out of the house. "He has an important meeting with Lord Arrington."

Persephone couldn't but sigh in relief. Finally, she could spend a night without Robert bothering her. She silently thanked the gods as the carriage started moving.

"At least I don't have to deal with him. At least for tonight."

"What is it with you and Robert? All he has done is show affection towards you. Many women would wish to be in your shoes."

Persephone sighed. "I don't want his affection because I want nothing to do with him. The only thing I would wish from him is to leave me alone and let me enjoy my social season in peace. I don't need an old man breathing down my ear."

Athena decided to keep her mouth shut, not wanting to annoy her sister anymore than she already is. It was bad enough she was forcing Persephone to attend the opera. Athena didn't want Persephone to chop her head off mentioning Robert. She knew what she needed to do but for tonight, she was going to let her sister have some peace.

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

Persephone hadn't been there for more than 5 minutes and she already wanted to leave. There were way too many people and she had yet to see any of her friends. This meant she would have to sit with Athena throughout the entire night and watch a boring opera singer sing for god knows how long.

"At least pretend you're excited to be here." Athena whispered as she smiled politely at the people they passed by.

"You know very well I would rather be anywhere else than here. Don't act surprised now."

They made their way to the second floor towards the balcony, giving them a view of everything. The only plus side of all of this was that they were alone...more specially without Robert around.

"Well, we are going to be here for a while so you best act like you're enjoying the show."

"Will you act like you're enjoying the show?" Persephone questioned Athena as they took their seats. "Watching a random opera singer who stole the man of your dreams."

"I will not have this discussion with you, especially here." Athena looked around, making sure no one had heard their conversation.

"Don't worry dear sister, it's not like it's a secret. Well...except for Daniel." Persephone laughed as her sister smacked her shoulder. "At least Lady Whistledown doesn't know."

"Does anyone know who this Lady Whistledown is? It seems like she knows more about us than what anyone knows of her." Athena never understood how someone could know so much and yet nobody knew who this person was.

Persephone shrugged as she watched the show was about to start. "No one knows. It's been a mystery to everyone. Some people have been saying it's one of the Bridgertons, others say it's the Everfalls."

"I wouldn't put it past Naomi to be Lady Whistledown. She knows everything about everyone."

That was very true. Naomi always knew what was going on with everyone. Every time Naomi would go to Persephone about the things she has heard about others, Persephone would always question how the girl would find things out. But like always, Naomi would never reveal her secrets.

"You might be onto something but I would highly doubt it. Lady Whistledown hasn't exactly been easier on us and I would assume if Naomi was Lady Whistledown, she wouldn't talk to us in that way."